Michael "doneNdusted84" Kanaan Wins FTOPS XXI Event #1; Dan Smith Finishes Fifth
The Full Tilt Online Poker Series (FTOPS) returned on Sunday with the first of 35 events taking place over the next two weeks. Event #1 of FTOPS XXI was a $216 buy-in No-Limit Hold'em Multi-Entry tournament which attracted 5,482 total entries, generating a massive prize pool worth $1,096,400 and surpassing the $750,000 guarantee.
Several big names and former FTOPS champions were back in the mix on Sunday, including member of Full Tilt Poker's The Professionals Viktor "Isildur1" Blom, who entered the event three times but was unable to cash. Others competing for the $187,484 top prize were Luke "_FullFlush1_" Schwartz, James Akenhead, Pius "MastaP89" Heinz, Mike "GoLeafsGoEh" Leah, Marco "CrazyMarco" Johnson, Shawn "buck99" Buchanan, Brendon "Brendooor" Rubie, Shannon "BLUFFforRENT" Shorr, Chris "Moorman1" Moorman and Elio "smokrokbyflock" Fox.
Seven-hundred twenty players earned at least $320 for cashing in the event. Among the notables who made the money but fell short of the final table were Shyam "S_Dot111" Srinivasan (19th - $2,960.28), Praz Bansi (20th - $2,960.28), Andras Nemeth (21st - $2,960.28) and David "Davidp18" Peters (25th - $2,960.28).
Dan "KingDan23" Smith, the current leader of the Global Poker Index Player of the Year race, added yet another achievement to his incredible year by reaching the final table. Smith, who has five live tournament wins plus a victory in the PokerStars Sunday Million in 2012, was joined by Michael "doneNdusted84" Kanaan and two-time FTOPS champ Jack "JackQKA" Ellwood.
Ellwood's bid for a third FTOPS title fell short as he hit the rail in sixth place. A short while later he was followed by Smith, who shoved ace-ten into pocket aces preflop. Smith collected $52,572 for the result, a mere fraction compared to his $4.2 million in cashes on the live circuit this year.
Event #1 was ultimately won by Kanaan, who overcame a significant chip disadvantage heads-up to claim his first FTOPS jersey. With the win, Kanaan takes the early lead on the FTOPS XXI leader board.
Full Tilt FTOPS XXI Event #1($750K Guaranteed)
|1||Michael "doneNdusted84" Kanaan||$187,484|
|5||Dan "KingDan23" Smith||$52,572|
|6||Jack "JackQKA" Ellwood||$36,181|
FTOPS XXI will resume on Monday with a $216 Pot-Limit Omaha Hi-Lo Six-Max (Event #2), a $1,060 buy-in No-limit Hold'em Multi-Entry (Event #3), and a $216 No-Limit Hold'em Rush Turbo (Event #4). To view the entire schedule, head over to FullTiltPoker.com.
- PokerStars SCOOP Promotion Closing Fast!
- Tony G To Attend ISPT; Purchase Shares of Him Through MyPokerSquad.com
- 2013 World Poker Tour World Championship Day 1: Failla Thrills at the Start
- 2012-13 WSOP Circuit Harrah's New Orleans Main Event Day 1b: Rahul Deevara Leads
- WSOP Releases the 2013 Carnivale of Poker Schedule
Most Popular This Week
- Audio Tapes Expose Ultimate Bet Cheating Scandal; Phil Hellmuth Responds
- Ivey Purportedly Won £7.8 Million Playing Punto Banco by Reading Back of Flawed Cards
- Season 9 EPT Grand Final Super High Roller Day 1: Mercier Mashing; Ivey Busts Twice
- Doyle Brunson to Forgo Tournament Play at the WSOP
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
No comments yet. Be the first to post one!