2013 PokerStars.fr EPT Deauville Main Event Day 2: Andrei Stoenescu Emerges as Chip Leader
A total of 419 players returned Tuesday for Day 2 of the 2013 PokerStars.fr European Poker Tour Deauville Main Event, each player hoping to claim the €770,000 first prize and title of EPT Deauville champion. After six levels of action, only 154 players had advanced to Day 3, and Andrei Stoenescu was leading the way with 485,600 in chips.
Day 2 Top 10 Chip Counts
Many members of Team PokerStars Pro were able to advance, but Nacho Barbero, Luca Moschitta, Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier and Julien Brecard all suffered relatively early exits on Day 2. New Team Pro Jake Cody lasted a little longer, but his dream of winning this event for a second time died when his was beaten by Bruno Le Garrec's after the board came .
Lex Veldhuis was forced to accept a similar fate, losing with ace-king to queens. The king came first to tease him, but a queen swiftly followed to eliminate the Dutchman. Despite this, Sandra Naujoks (73,500), Vanessa Rousso (34,200) and Matthias De Meulder (186,000) made it through to Day 3 and will no doubt hope to make it even further.
Others who made it through include former EPT champions Zimnan Ziyard (380,200) and Lucien Cohen (46,100), who along with Naujoks are looking for that incredibly elusive second EPT title. Online phenom Jason Koon managed to sail through with a hefty 275,100 in chips while Freddy Deeb will be back Wednesday with 114,800. Last season's winner, Vadzim Kursevich, will not be rejoining us, either. He was eliminated when Thomas Butzhammer's pocket queens triumphed over his king-queen.
Joining Kursevich on the rail was Nicolas Levi, who lost a large flip with the to Tobias Peters' on an board when all the money went in on the flop. Marvin Rettenmaier also met his demise when his ace-king ran into kings. Arnaud Mattern flopped a flush against bottom two pair only for the latter hand to improve to a full house on the turn, removing yet another former EPT champion from the tournament.
With 154 players returning on Wednesday and only 120 being paid, around a quarter of those coming back will have nothing but memories to show for their efforts. PokerNews will be back again on Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. CET to bring you all the news as the EPT Deauville Main Event heads into Day 3.
Follow PokerNews on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news.
- Who'll Be Playing in the World Series of Poker Circuit National Championship?
- Pat Steele Wins HPT Soaring Eagle Casino for $155,636; Joe Cada Finishes Fourth
- John “JohnnyGstaks” Hayes Wins PokerNews Mid-States Poker Tour Northern Lights
- Calvin Anderson Wins 4th SCOOP Watch; Ben Wilinofsky and David Baker Earn Huge Scores
- Red Bull and the ISPT Announce Exclusive Partnership
Most Popular This Week
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
- Doyle Brunson to Forgo Tournament Play at the WSOP
- WSOP Announces 2013-14 Circuit Schedule: 10th Season, 22 Events, Three Added Stops
- The Railbird: Gus Hansen Wins $1.57 Million in One Day Playing Primarily FLO8
- Highlights from the 2013 World Series of Poker Conference Call
No comments yet. Be the first to post one!