2013 PokerStars.net ANZPT Sydney Day 1b: Ashley Mason Takes Top Spot
March 22 2013, Mat Pater
Day 1b of the 2013 PokerStars.net Australia New Zealand Poker Tour Sydney Main Event attracted 254 players to the Star Casino. This brought the combined number of entries to 460, a mere one shy of last year's event. A prize pool of AUD$920,000 was generated with first place paying an impressive AUD$226,300.
ANZPT Sydney Day 1b Top 10 Chip Counts
Eighty-nine players were left when the day was finished with Ashley Mason atop the chip counts with a monstrous stack of 253,800 in chips. He waited until the last level to accumulate much of this stack, after the short stacks at his table tried to fight against him. He will lead a 175-strong field coming into Day 2 after topping Gary Benson's Day 1a-leading stack.
Recently back from his deep run at the World Poker Tour Bay 101 event in San Jose, Brendon Rubie was in Thursday’s field and will progress to Day 2. His day only went up, with a big hand in the last few levels giving him the chip lead for some time. He eventually finished with a respectable 117,700 in chips.
Snapping at Mason's heels, but a considerable way behind are Dale Marsland (172,200), Ben Benoit (140,800) and John Thomson (136,400). Iori Yogo, Patrick Healy, Jackson Zheng and Joe Cabret were also among the players who made it through Day 1b.
Some of the players who weren’t so fortunate included Didier Guerin, Jonathan Karamalakis, Team PokerStars Pro Bryan Huang, Tom English, Tom Grigg, Tony Hachem and 2011 Aussie Millions Main Event champion David Gorr.
Hachem arrived late to the tournament and didn’t last much longer after that. He lost half of his stack when his flopped two pair fell behind to Healy’s turned two pair. He then proceeded to get his remaining chip stack in with the on a flop with two clubs, and was up against . The board ran out with the and to see his day end.
Gorr was another who played tight throughout the day. He eventually got all his chips in holding the and was called by the . When the board ran out , it saw Gorr exit the building.
Be sure to join the PokerNews Live Reporting team from 12:30 p.m. local time tomorrow as we bring you all the continued coverage from Day 2 of the ANZPT Sydney Main Event.
Interested in getting in on the action? Check out our PokerStars review page today and take advantage!
- Pat Steele Wins HPT Soaring Eagle Casino for $155,636; Joe Cada Finishes Fourth
- Who'll Be Playing in the World Series of Poker Circuit National Championship?
- John “JohnnyGstaks” Hayes Wins PokerNews Mid-States Poker Tour Northern Lights
- Calvin Anderson Wins 4th SCOOP Watch; Ben Wilinofsky and David Baker Earn Huge Scores
- Red Bull and the ISPT Announce Exclusive Partnership
Most Popular This Week
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
- Doyle Brunson to Forgo Tournament Play at the WSOP
- WSOP Announces 2013-14 Circuit Schedule: 10th Season, 22 Events, Three Added Stops
- Season 9 EPT Grand Final Super High Roller Day 2: Mercier Leads the Final Table
- The Railbird: Gus Hansen Wins $1.57 Million in One Day Playing Primarily FLO8
No comments yet. Be the first to post one!