Created in 2007, Winamax is now home to over 2,500,000 registered players. The site counts more than 1,500,000 real money players, with thousands of them regularly connected during peak times.
The room also hosts some of the most popular tournaments in the online poker industry, with weekly guaranteed events that typically attract several thousand players.
Winamax is the dominant force in the French online poker market and it is available for PC, Mac and Linux.
Playing poker on the go is easy on Winamax, as the room offers a wide range of free mobile poker apps for basically any mobile OS in the world – and this means that yes, besides the regular iPhone / iPad and Android poker apps, Winamax has one that works on Windows phones too.
If you don't like to play for real money, Winamax also offers play money poker games both on Facebook and within their poker client.
Special Sign-Up Instructions
In order to comply with the rules set by the French regulator ARJEL, the sign-up process at Winamax is different to most other poker sites. Please read the following instructions before you sign-up for an account at Winamax.
1. When a new player signs up, he must do the following - otherwise he will not be allowed to play in real money games, freeroll tournaments, or make a deposit.
- Provide his date and place of birth.
- Provide his bank account number (IBAN and BIC/Swift numbers).
- Define spending and playing limits.
2. Once an account has been created, the player has three months to provide the following documentation:
- A copy of an ID document such as a passport or a driving licence.
- A proof of bank account ownership, such as a bank statement.
- Both documents must match the details entered when creating the account Winamax.
Failure to provide this information within one month will see the account locked. If the documents are not sent within three months, the account will be permanently closed.
3. Once Winamax has received and validated all of the relevant documents, a letter containing a personal validation code will be sent to the player's postal address. The player has then six weeks to enter this code in the Winamax software. The player will be allowed to withdraw funds from his account only once this last step will have been completed.
Please note that as of October 1, 2014, players from the United Kingdom cannot play at Winamax.
Winamax Bonuses and VIP Scheme
As a new customer, you receive a 100% match up to a maximum of €500 bonus when you make your first deposit at Winamax.
The bonus is released into your account in five equal parts once you have earned the required 'miles' (Winamax's frequent player points).
You need to earn 30 miles per €1 of bonus, and you have three months to clear the full bonus. See our VIP section below for details about how 'miles' are earned.
Winamax VIP Scheme
Winamax's VIP scheme has six monthly tiers and six annual levels. Each time you pay €1 in rake or in tournament fees you are awarded 4 points. These points are then multiplied depending on your VIP status to give you miles.
The table below shows the various VIP tiers and the miles required to reach each level.
Monthly VIP Statuses
Annual VIP Statuses
Each VIP tier has its own special freeroll or freerolls with prize pools ranging from €1,000 up to €20,000.
You can also exchange miles for tournament tickets, cash bonuses and exclusive merchandise in the Winamax boutique.
Games Offered at Winamax
French laws only allow no-limit hold'em and pot-limit Omaha games to be played. Winamax offers both of these variants in heads-up, five-max and nine-max cash games, sit & go tournaments and multi-table tournaments.
The tournaments at Winamax are very well structured with plenty of play in them. One of the most popular weekly tournaments is the €40,000 guaranteed Sunday Surprise that awards the champion a surprise gift.
Past gifts include a holiday to Ibiza, a week in Argentina, a pair of Google Glasses and a 10-day trip to Mauritius!
Notable Winamax Features
The software used by Winamax is fast, sleek, stable and it is available for PC, Mac, and Linux powered machines. In addition to this, the room also offers fully functional mobile apps for Android, iOS and Windows Phone. Some of its many features include:
- Auto top-up during cash games
- Resizable tables
- Auto rebuy and auto add-on for tournament play
- Preferred seating
Winamax is also the home tothe Expresso tournaments, the popular three-handed hyper-turbo sit-and-gos with buy-ins ranging from €1 to €10 that randomly select a winner-takes-all prize of between 2 and 1,000 times your buy-in!
If you have any query or are experiencing any problems at Winamax, you can help yourself via the extensive user guide and online help section available on the room's website.
Should you not be able to rectify your problem, you can contact Winamax via email, fax or by post