PoolStars Announces WSOP Seat Promotion
PoolStars is giving poker players a chance to walk away with a seat in the World Series of Poker Main Event in their side pocket. The online billiards Web site, which offers a virtual version of the popular recreational game, is giving away a Main Event package that includes a $10,000 seat and $2,500 cash to the overall winner of a series of freeroll tournaments.
Players can qualify for the final freeroll – the winner of which earns the WSOP seat – by participating in daily WSOP Satellite freerolls starting May 1 and running through May 31. The game of choice for these tournaments is 9-ball, and the tournaments are scheduled to start daily at 22:00 Greenwich Mean Time (6 p.m. Eastern). The top eight finishers from each daily tournament – 256 players in all – will take to the virtual billiards felt June 7 in the final freeroll to determine the WSOP seat winner.
Several notable poker pros, such as Daniel Negreanu and John Hennigan, started their gambling careers as successful pool players. PoolStars is giving those who master the online game a chance to play poker on the game's biggest stage. Poolstars.com allows players to download its software for free and play in online billiards games against other competitors. It currently offers free play exclusively, but has plans to launch a real-money option in May.
The game offers strategic complexities that mirror its real-life counterpart; players must consider the shot's angle and the spin, speed and power of the ball before they "shoot" the cue ball. Below is a list of Poolstar.com's rules and regulations for the WSOP Main Event freeroll:
1. The promotion will consist of 31 daily freeroll tournament satellites from May 1-31, which will qualify eight winners daily to the June 7 PoolStars WSOP Satellite Grand Final.
2. The PoolStars WSOP Satellite Grand final will include a maximum field of 256 players (including a last-chance qualifier with a time to be determined).
3. This promotion is open only to PoolStars members who will be 21 years old by June 7, 2008. The WSOP is held in Las Vegas, where the age minimum is 21 for WSOP players.
4. The game played during the promotion will be 9-ball at all times, with a 90-second clock.
5. The winner of the promotion's Grand Final will be entitled to play the $10,000 WSOP Main Event beginning on July 3, 2008 in Las Vegas, and will receive $2,500 cash.
6. The winner of the promotion agrees to wear PoolStars-logoed clothing for the duration of the tournament.
7. The winner of the promotion must arrive in Las Vegas on or before July 2 to arrange registration.
8. The winner of the promotion is responsible for his or her own travel expenses; $2,500 will be provided at the time of registration in Las Vegas to defer these costs.
9. If the winner fails to appear at the times specified for registration, the winner forfeits the prize (including cash) and no further recourse to the prize may be taken.
10. Players are responsible for necessary documents and visas required to enter the USA.
11. Promotion is void where prohibited by law.
12. The winner of the promotion must provide valid documentation within 72 hours of the close of the final tournament to prove identity. In the event a member younger than 21 on June 7, 2008 wins the tournament, the prize will be awarded to the next eligible finisher. No compensation will be given to the ineligible winner in such a case.
13. By entering the promotion, you agree to waive liability and indemnify PoolStars Ltd. for any consequence arising out of this promotion. PoolStars will always act in good faith, and may modify the details of these terms and conditions at any time, should a need arise.
14. For purposes of the promotion only, the preceding rules supercede the PoolStars general Terms of Service and game rules where a conflict may appear.
* PoolStars has no relationship or affiliation with Harrah's Inc., the World Series of Poker or any of its related companies or organizations.