Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
In episode 309 of the Top Pair Home Game Poker Podcast, Bruce Briggs and Robbie Strazynski take a deep dive into a couple of home game questions that come up all the time: who should do the dealing and is there a need to tip the dealers and hosts?
The guys also catch you up on all their own home game happenings, with Robbie getting spewy, while Bruce develops a new/old appreciation for the “Rubik’s Cube of Poker.”
Plus, in honor of the NBA Playoffs, a One Outer that’ll make you want to hedge your bets, at least a little.
Show Time Stamps
|1:07–12:56||How Ya Runnin?|
|Robbie: Hosting the first home game in a new home, but being action-hungry leads to spewy play. “Home court advantage” couldn’t stop the bleeding.|
|Bruce: The perils of adding Badugi, the “Rubik’s cube of poker,” into the home game mix… it’s not really poker after all.|
|Bonus discussion: The challenge and responsibilities of being the host/dealer and player vs. just playing. Utah Jazz history and NBA Playoffs talk.|
|15:00–44:55||Cards in the Air|
|16:01||The mechanics of dealing a home game. Pass the deal or designated dealers?|
|25:04||Dealer antes for everyone to avoid confusion|
|27:02||How to handle shuffling? Pass the shuffle or designated shufflers?|
|29:27||Tipping: Important to try and establish house rules and let players know in advance. Designated dealers ought to get something for their efforts; up to the players or the host? Also, should hosts be tipped? How much?|
|33:39||Tossing “thank you” chips when the dealer deals you the card you need.|
|39:42||In cash games, tip a host based on your experience and having had a good time at the host’s house, or rather based on how well you do during a home game session?|
|45:07||One Outer – Hedging your sports bets… to the extreme!|
* First 296 episodes are archived and available at www.toppair.net
Be sure to complete your PokerNews experience by checking out an overview of our mobile and tablet apps here. Stay on top of the poker world from your phone with our mobile iOS and Android app, or fire up our iPad app on your tablet. You can also update your own chip counts from poker tournaments around the world with MyStack on both Android and iOS.
In this Series
- 1 Top Pair Podcast 297: Welcome to PokerNews; Sarah Herring Interview
- 2 Top Pair Podcast 298: Mixed Games - The Rules of... "Scrotum"
- 3 Top Pair Podcast 299: Interview with Bernard Lee
- 4 Top Pair Podcast 300: Sean Chaffin Talks 'True Gambling Stories'
- 5 Top Pair Podcast 301: When a Poker Noob Wins a Bad Beat Jackpot
- 6 Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
- 7 Top Pair Podcast 303: Interview w/ New Home Game Player Shannon Mack
- 8 Top Pair Podcast 304: For a Successful Home Game, Just Stay Calm!
- 9 Top Pair Podcast 305: Interview with John Hesp
- 10 Top Pair Podcast 306: Who's At Your Ultimate Fantasy Home Poker Game?
- 11 Top Pair Podcast 307: Interview with Scott Blumstein
- 12 Top Pair Podcast 308: The Ultimate Ladies Home Poker Game
- 13 Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
- 14 Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
- 15 Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
- 16 Top Pair Podcast 312: Interview with Aria Poker Room's Mike Williams
- 17 Top Pair Podcast 313: Behind the Scenes at the 2018 WSOP Main Event
- 18 Top Pair Podcast 314: Interview with Faded Spade Playing Cards founder Tom Wheaton