Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
In episode 309 of the Top Pair Home Game Poker Podcast, Bruce Briggs and Robbie Strazynski take a deep dive into a couple of home game questions that come up all the time: who should do the dealing and is there a need to tip the dealers and hosts?
The guys also catch you up on all their own home game happenings, with Robbie getting spewy, while Bruce develops a new/old appreciation for the “Rubik’s Cube of Poker.”
Plus, in honor of the NBA Playoffs, a One Outer that’ll make you want to hedge your bets, at least a little.
Show Time Stamps
|1:07–12:56||How Ya Runnin?|
|Robbie: Hosting the first home game in a new home, but being action-hungry leads to spewy play. “Home court advantage” couldn’t stop the bleeding.|
|Bruce: The perils of adding Badugi, the “Rubik’s cube of poker,” into the home game mix… it’s not really poker after all.|
|Bonus discussion: The challenge and responsibilities of being the host/dealer and player vs. just playing. Utah Jazz history and NBA Playoffs talk.|
|15:00–44:55||Cards in the Air|
|16:01||The mechanics of dealing a home game. Pass the deal or designated dealers?|
|25:04||Dealer antes for everyone to avoid confusion|
|27:02||How to handle shuffling? Pass the shuffle or designated shufflers?|
|29:27||Tipping: Important to try and establish house rules and let players know in advance. Designated dealers ought to get something for their efforts; up to the players or the host? Also, should hosts be tipped? How much?|
|33:39||Tossing “thank you” chips when the dealer deals you the card you need.|
|39:42||In cash games, tip a host based on your experience and having had a good time at the host’s house, or rather based on how well you do during a home game session?|
|45:07||One Outer – Hedging your sports bets… to the extreme!|
* First 296 episodes are archived and available at www.toppair.net
Finding a trustworthy room to play online poker can be a monumental burden. That's all the more true if you're just looking for a place to play poker for free. We've listed five of the best play-money poker sites to enjoy and help hone your skills.
In this Series
- 1 Top Pair Podcast 297: Welcome to PokerNews; Sarah Herring Interview
- 2 Top Pair Podcast 298: Mixed Games - The Rules of... "Scrotum"
- 3 Top Pair Podcast 299: Interview with Bernard Lee
- 4 Top Pair Podcast 300: Sean Chaffin Talks 'True Gambling Stories'
- 5 Top Pair Podcast 301: When a Poker Noob Wins a Bad Beat Jackpot
- 6 Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
- 7 Top Pair Podcast 303: Interview w/ New Home Game Player Shannon Mack
- 8 Top Pair Podcast 304: For a Successful Home Game, Just Stay Calm!
- 9 Top Pair Podcast 305: Interview with John Hesp
- 10 Top Pair Podcast 306: Who's At Your Ultimate Fantasy Home Poker Game?
- 11 Top Pair Podcast 307: Interview with Scott Blumstein
- 12 Top Pair Podcast 308: The Ultimate Ladies Home Poker Game
- 13 Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
- 14 Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
- 15 Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
- 16 Top Pair Podcast 312: Interview with Aria Poker Room's Mike Williams
- 17 Top Pair Podcast 313: Behind the Scenes at the 2018 WSOP Main Event
- 18 Top Pair Podcast 314: Interview with Faded Spade Playing Cards founder Tom Wheaton
- 19 Top Pair Podcast 315: What American Poker Players Can Expect in Europe