"I am the Champ!" Tony G Wins Second SHRB Europe Short Deck Title for $1,196,000
Table Of Contents
Tony G won his second Super High Roller Bowl Europe title in four days with victory in Event #7: $100,000 Short Deck. The result is a new career biggest cash for the poker legend, taking home $1,196,000 after topping a field of 26 players.
Having already won Event #3: $25,000 Short Deck Hold’em, he defeated Paul Phua heads-up, making a runner-runner flush in the final hand to secure victory.
Danny Tang took home $416,000 for his third-place finish, while Santi Jiang continued his strong SHRB Europe performance. Jiang has now final-tabled all four short deck events, for over $1.2 million.
Super High Roller Bowl Event #7: $100,000 Short Deck Final Table Results
|3||Danny Tang||Hong Kong||$416,000|
Final Table Recap
Just four players returned for the final day with Danny Tang in the lead. Paul Phua was the table short stack, but an early double through Tony G saw him stay alive.
The stacks began to even out, with the chip lead flipping between Tang and Tony G.
With Phua growing shorter again, ICM pressures saw the pace slow. However, when Tang shoved Jiang had to call with pocket kings and rivered a two-outer to stay alive and move atop the chip counts.
Both Phua and Tony G would double through Jiang, before he was eliminated in fourth place by Tony G. There would be two more doubles for Phua, before Tang was eliminated in third place.
Although starting with the chip lead after eliminating Tang, things swiftly turned around for Phua who folded trips to the increasingly aggressive Tony G.
Coming into the final table, Phua had 16 short deck tournament cashes - as many as the rest of the table combined - but importantly didn't have a short deck tournament victory.
"That's the worst bad beat I've seen. What are the odds?"
The final hand was the most straight-forward preflop, with Tony G shoving with ace-king suited and Phua calling with pocket aces, but what happened next was extraordinary.
With reduced cards in short deck, flushes are much harder to make. In fact, they beat a full house in the hand rankings. However, after flopping only one club, Tony G went runner-runner to make a flush and eliminate Phua.
"I'm the champ!" said Tony G. "I'm the luckiest. That's a set-up; a cooler hand. That's the worst bad beat I've seen. What are the odds?"
Super High Roller Bowl Europe Live Coverage
Just two events remain on the schedule at the Super High Roller Bowl Europe.
The $250,000 Super High Roller Bowl Europe Main Event kicked off today, and you can catch all the updates from the Merit Casino in Cyprus right here on PokerNews.
|August 30 - September 01, 2021||SHRB Europe $250,000 No-Limit Hold’em Main Event|
|August 31 - September 01, 2021||Event #8: $50,000 No-Limit Hold’em|
In this Series
- 1 Phil Ivey Wins Super High Roller Bowl Europe Event #1: $25,000 Short Deck
- 2 Johan "YoH ViraL" Guilbert Wins SHRB Europe Event #2: $25,000 No-Limit Hold'em
- 3 Tony G Wins SHRB Europe Event #3: $25,000 Short Deck ($382,500)
- 4 Ivey Misses Out on Second SHRB Europe Title; Bedir Wins Event #4: $50k NLHE
- 5 Artur Martirosian Overcomes David Peters to Win SHRB Europe Event #6: $100,000 No-Limit Hold'em
- 6 "I am the Champ!" Tony G Wins Second SHRB Europe Short Deck Title for $1,196,000
- 7 WATCH: Crazy High-Stakes Cash Game Action at Super High Roller Bowl Europe
- 8 Wiktor Malinowski Leads $250,000 Super High Roller Bowl Europe Final Table
- 9 Wiktor Malinowski Wins Super High Roller Bowl Europe ($3,690,000)