Doyle Brunson Becomes a WPT Ambassador, Might Play WSOP Main Event
The World Poker Tour has revealed its newest ambassador, and it's none other than the "Godfather of Poker," Doyle Brunson.
On top of that news, the 10-time World Series of Poker bracelet winner informed his Twitter followers that he just might come out to play next month in the WSOP Main Event, a tournament he won in 1976 and 1977.
Earlier in the series, the poker legend hinted that he might not play at all this series due to COVID-19 concerns. He's been worried he could bring home the virus to his wife. Plus, at age 88, he is conscious of his own health issues.
Brunson to Compete in the 2022 WSOP Main Event?
Doyle didn't officially announce he will play in the Main Event, but suggested that if the COVID spread at Bally's is more under control come July 3 when the world championship event begins, he intends to play.
Brunson, along with Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, and Johnny Chan, is one of just four players in history to reach the 10-bracelet plateau. He hasn't won a bracelet since 2005, but he did come close in 2018 when he shocked the poker world by reaching the $10,000 No-Limit 2-7 Lowball Draw Championship final table.
Last year, he didn't cash in the Main Event, but he showed that he can still play at a high level and made it deep into Day 2.
Joining the World Poker Tour
Should Brunson decide to play the Main Event, he'll be patched up with a World Poker Tour logo. The Poker Hall of Famer, a WPT Champions Club member, brings some additional star power to the WPT and will represent the brand as an ambassador.
"Texas Dolly" won the WPT Legends of Poker event in 2004 for $1,198,290, the largest tournament score of his career, according to Hendon Mob.
“Doyle has been a part of the World Poker Tour from the very beginning,” said Adam Pliska, World Poker Tour CEO. “I was there for his WPT Legends of Poker victory in 2004 when he joined the WPT Champions Club, and to also be here to welcome him to the WPT family after all this time feels surreal.”
Brunson joins an increasingly star-studded cast of WPT ambassadors, a list that includes vloggers Andrew Neeme and Brad Owen, and celebrity DJ Steve Aoki, who hosted a special private home game at his Las Vegas mansion earlier this year.
Bookmark this page! All you need to know about the 2022 WSOP is here.
In this Series
- 1 Officials Offer First Look at 2022 WSOP; Answer Several Lingering Questions
- 2 Bally's & Paris: Your Guide to the New Home of the World Series of Poker (WSOP)
- 3 Negreanu, Deeb (as Expected) Highest Bids in $25k WSOP Fantasy Draft
- 4 WSOP Transportation Guide: Riding the Las Vegas Strip Monorail
- 5 Let the Games Begin: 2022 WSOP is Officially Underway
- 6 Phil Hellmuth Misses 2022 WSOP Opener After Bout of Traveler's Diarrhea
- 7 Kenney, Schindler & Imsirovic Arrive at 2022 WSOP Despite Recent Cheating Allegations
- 8 Phil Ivey is Back! Poker G.O.A.T. Cashes First 2022 WSOP Event
- 9 Baltimore Raven Calais Campbell at WSOP: "We Have Super Bowl Potential"
- 10 2022 WSOP Featured Females: Katie Kopp Becomes Bally's First-Ever Bracelet Winner
- 11 WSOP Player of the Year Race One Week In: Defending Champ Arieh Off and Running
- 12 ClubGG Offers Bubble Protection For Eight 2022 WSOP Events
- 13 Doyle Brunson Skipping 2022 WSOP Due to COVID-19 Concerns
- 14 Retired NBA Star Paul Pierce Allegedly Won't Pay His Poker Debts
- 15 Scott Seiver Pays $43k to Enter $1k WSOP Event, Fails to Cash
- 16 2022 WSOP Featured Females: Lara Eisenberg Talks Poker's Impact on Dementia
- 17 2022 WSOP Hands of the Week: Depaulo vs. Hellmuth, a Pure One Outer & a Royal Flush
- 18 Reigning World Champ Koray Aldemir Quietly Crushing it at 2022 WSOP
- 19 2022 WSOP Player of the Week 2: Jeremy Ausmus Wins Third Bracelet in 9 Months
- 20 Hellmuth Controversy at WSOP: Poker Brat's Chips Swiped on Break
- 21 Security Mistakenly Tries to Kick Out Neymar Jr. After He Cashes First WSOP Event
- 22 Breaking News: Phil Ivey Closing in on Elusive 11th WSOP Bracelet Tonight
- 23 Doyle Brunson Becomes a WPT Ambassador, Might Play WSOP Main Event
- 24 World Series of Daniel's? Zack, Weinman (But Not Negreanu) Lead POY Race
- 25 WSOP $250,000 Super High Roller Kicks Off; Ivey, Negreanu and Kenney All Enter
- 26 Ali Imsirovic Busts WSOP $250K Super High Roller on Brutal Cooler
- 27 Cruising in the $250k, Is 2022 One of Phil Ivey's Best WSOP's Ever?
- 28 Runner-Runner Bad Beat Tilts Negreanu; Poker Star Out of WSOP $250k
- 29 Navy Vet Reps Military Charity During WSOP Salute to Warriors Event
- 30 2022 WSOP Featured Females: Meet Wendeen Eolis, 1st Woman to Ever Cash Main Event
- 31 Dan Zack Still Leads WSOP POY Race; Ivey, Deeb within Striking Distance
- 32 888poker Pro Ian Simpson Gears Up for 2022 WSOP Main Event
- 33 Poker Players Who Have Defended Their WSOP Bracelet
- 34 How to Make Day 2 of the Million Dollar Bounty
- 35 Poker Player Wins WSOP Main Event Satty in His Sleep...Literally