2023 WSOP Day 50: Can The Last Person Out Please Turn Off The Lights?
The 2023 World Series of Poker at the Horseshoe and Paris Las Vegas concluded on July 18, the 50th day of a record-breaking summer. Four events were required to award their bracelets before the WSOP staff could dismantle the mothership, store away the tables, chairs, and chips, and the last person out could turn off the lights.
Event #91: $3,000 H.O.R.S.E. was one of those four remaining events. Originally scheduled to be a three-day event, Day 3 ended with Ryan Miller heads-up against Leonard August. The heads-up duo returned to the action at 2:00 p.m. local time, and it took less than one level of one-on-one action for Miller to get the job done and capture his second bracelet of the summer.
Online Short Deck specialist Martin Nielsen triumphed in Event #93: $10,000 Short Deck Championship after overcoming a star-studded field of 106 entrants. All eyes were on John Juanda at the start of Day 3 because he had the opportunity to join Josh Arieh and Phil Hellmuth as the only players to win a bracelet at Binion's, the Rio, and Horseshoe. However, Juanda sat down as the short stack and was the first player out of the door.
Nielsen, who hails from the Faroe Islands, and the $270,160 he collected propelled him to the top of his country's all-time money list.
The third tournament that dished out some poker god was Event #94: $5,000 No-Limit Hold'em (8-Handed). Alex Keating came out on top for a career-best $701,688 and his first WSOP hardware. Keating has WSOP cashes dating back to 2009, so getting his hands on a bracelet has been a long time coming. No doubt the California native will cherish his impressive victory forever.
Event #95: $1,000 Super Turbo No-Limit Hold'em was the last event of the summer, and it was a stacked field considering the timing of the tournament and the buy-in being at the more affordable end of the scale.
It took thirty-eight 20-minute levels to reduce the 1,486 entrants to a champion, with Paul Berger being the last man standing. Berger did not plan to play any more poker this summer and was only at the casino to withdraw the money left in his account, but saw that a one-day turbo was running, so he hopped in. It turned out to be a superb decision because he not only captured his first bracelet, but Berger donates his winnings to charity, so the $212,645 top prize will go some way to helping those less fortunate than he.
That concludes PokerNews' coverage of the 2023 WSOP; what a summer it has been. We would like to thank each and every PokerNews reader for tuning into our live reporting pages.
Don't worry if you are anxious about where you will get your next live updates fix because our team is heading to APPT Manila, 888poker LIVE Bucharest, and the PokerStars EPT Barcelona festival during August!
Check out our guide to the Best Online Casinos around the world. For US players, online real money casino is available in Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Jersey and West Virginia. If you're looking to start playing Online Casino right now, then we recommend FanDuel Casino. If you’re in a State where real money online casino isn’t an option, then you still have the chance to play via Social Casino sites such as Chumba Casino and LuckyLand Slots.
In this Series
- 1 2023 WSOP Day 1: Big Guns Turn Out in Force for the $25K High Roller; Razaei Leads
- 2 2023 WSOP Day 2: First Bracelet of the Series Awarded; Hallay Leads High Roller
- 3 2023 WSOP Day 3: Andrew Kelsall Leads the Final 11 of the Dealer's Choice
- 4 2023 WSOP Day 4: Polk Advances to Sweet 16 in $25K HU, Eveslage Wins Second Bracelet
- 5 2023 WSOP Day 5: Polk Makes Final Four as Shaun Deeb Chases Stud Title
- 6 2023 WSOP Day 6: Four Bracelets Awarded; Eveslage Aiming for Back-to-Back Wins
- 7 2023 WSOP Day 7: Three Champions Crowned; Chosen One Eveslage Does it Again
- 8 2023 WSOP Day 8: Calvin Anderson Spins It Up in the High Roller
- 9 2023 WSOP Day 9: Could We See the First Female Champion of the Series?
- 10 2023 WSOP Day 10: Action-Packed Day Sees Three Bracelets Awarded
- 11 2023 WSOP Day 11: One Bracelet Awarded; $50k High Roller Kicks Off
- 12 2023 WSOP Day 12: Alex Foxen Chases Second Bracelet In $50k Event
- 13 2023 WSOP Day 13: Shaun Deeb Bags Another WSOP Chip Lead; Seidel Gunning for 10th Bracelet
- 14 2023 WSOP Day 14: Lamb Leads Stacked Omaha Hi-Lo Championship Final Table
- 15 2023 WSOP Day 15: Arends Leads the $100K; Lamb and Deeb Capture Gold Bracelets
- 16 2023 WSOP Day 16: Five Shiny Bracelets Find New Homes
- 17 2023 WSOP Day 17: Razz Championship Spills Over into Day 4
- 18 2023 WSOP Day 18: First Bracelet For Wong; Kornuth Bags Big in $250K
- 19 2023 WSOP Day 19: Benny Glaser Chases Fifth Bracelet
- 20 2023 WSOP Day 20: Johnny Chan in the Hunt for Bracelet No. 11
- 21 2023 WSOP Day 21: Cates Terminated from the $50K PPC
- 22 2023 WSOP Day 22: Ashton Hunting for Second $50K PPC Title
- 23 2023 WSOP Day 23: Ivey Falls Short of His 11th Bracelet
- 24 2023 WSOP Day 24: Five Bracelets Awarded; More Records Broken
- 25 2023 WSOP Day 25: Halatenko Leads Final Five Into Day 4 of $10,000 Pot-Limit Omaha Championship
- 26 2023 WSOP Day 26: Phil Hellmuth Makes The Final 17 of $10,000 H.O.R.S.E.
- 27 2023 WSOP Day 27: Heimiller; Matusow, and Gorodinsky Shine Brightly
- 28 2023 WSOP Day 28: Chance Kornuth Continues Crushing
- 29 2023 WSOP Day 29: Negreanu Finishes Another Day 1 With a Big Stack
- 30 2023 WSOP Day 30: Erik Seidel Seeking His 10th WSOP Bracelet
- 31 2023 WSOP Day 31: Vitor Dzivielevski Hoping to Join His Brother in the Bracelet Club
- 32 2023 WSOP Day 32: Dzivielevski Brothers Chasing Gold, Both Run Deep
- 33 2023 WSOP Day 33: Three Bracelets Won as Shiina Okamoto Leads The Ladies Event
- 34 2023 WSOP Day 34: Excitement Builds for the $10,000 Main Event!
- 35 2023 WSOP Day 35: The Wait is Over! The $10,000 Main Event Shuffles up and Deals!
- 36 2023 WSOP Day 36: Main Event Continues Growing During Fourth of July Celebrations
- 37 2023 WSOP Day 37: Main Event Looks Set to Obliterate the Attendance Record
- 38 2023 WSOP Day 38: Main Event Shatters Its Attendance Record
- 39 2023 WSOP Day 39: No Repeat Main Event Champion as Espen Jorstad Gets Eliminated
- 40 2023 WSOP Day 40: Maurice Hawkins Leads Main Event into Day 3
- 41 2023 WSOP Day 41: Morgan Petro Bags Big Lucky 7's Stack; Kornuth Continues Crushing
- 42 2023 WSOP Day 42: Arieh Claims the $25K H.O.R.S.E. Day 1 Chip Lead
- 43 2023 WSOP Day 43: Three-Hour Bubble Sees $25K H.O.R.S.E. Get Stuck in the Mud
- 44 2023 WSOP Day 44: Wang Claims $50,000 High Roller Chip Lead
- 45 2023 WSOP Day 45: Kulev Set to Claim $50K High Roller Title
- 46 2023 WSOP Day 46: Friedman Gets Closer To Sixth Bracelet
- 47 2023 WSOP Day 47: Another Deep Run for Hellmuth; Pupillo Final Three in Mixed Event
- 48 2023 WSOP Day 48: Reard In a Dominant Position in the $10K NLHE 6-Max Championship
- 49 2023 WSOP Day 49: John Juanda Could Join an Exclusive Club
- 50 2023 WSOP Day 50: Can The Last Person Out Please Turn Off The Lights?