North Carolina Poker Raid Nabs at Least 41
A raid on a private poker club in Cary, NC has resulted in misdemeanor gambling charges against at least 41 participants. The club, called Table Image, was an after-hours location reportedly sharing a parking lot with the local New Destiny Church, though the church was not believed to have made the complaint leading to the raid.
Local and state authorities and the National Guard were all involved in the raid, which resulted in the seizure of about $20,000 from the players at the site. A handgun was also found, along with a small amount of heroin that could not be traced to any specific player.
A local TV-station report said that six poker tables were found at the site, used for a series of private tournaments that had grown too big for a normal home. The tournament's organizer, Matthew McCoy, was charged with possession for sale of alcoholic beverages without permits and unauthorized possession of liquor, in addition to the gambling charge. McCoy stated that it was normally a $40-per-player event, and that all additional monies raised went to the overhead of the site, which may have housed games several nights each week.
Unlicensed clubs putting on private, for-profit tournaments continue to be the type of venue most likely to be raided by authorities. In this instance, several neighboring businesses noticed the surge in late-night traffic to the site, which in turn led to the interest of authorities.
- The $15K Spring Freeroll Series and $5K RakeChase Are Still Running at Titan Poker!
- Who'll Be Playing in the World Series of Poker Circuit National Championship?
- Pat Steele Wins HPT Soaring Eagle Casino for $155,636; Joe Cada Finishes Fourth
- John “JohnnyGstaks” Hayes Wins PokerNews Mid-States Poker Tour Northern Lights
- Calvin Anderson Wins 4th SCOOP Watch; Ben Wilinofsky and David Baker Earn Huge Scores
Most Popular This Week
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
- WSOP Announces 2013-14 Circuit Schedule: 10th Season, 22 Events, Three Added Stops
- The Railbird: Gus Hansen Wins $1.57 Million in One Day Playing Primarily FLO8
- Highlights from the 2013 World Series of Poker Conference Call
- WSOP Releases the 2013 Carnivale of Poker Schedule
No comments yet. Be the first to post one!