MGM Receives Nevada Online Gaming License; Intends to Use Bwin.Party's Poker Platform
On Thursday, MGM Resorts International became the latest operator in Nevada to gain approval for a real-money online poker site.
During a hearing with the Nevada Gaming Commission, the gaming giant was approved for licensure as an operator of interactive gaming systems in Nevada. The license will allow MGM to offer bwin.party's poker platform to Nevada residents once bwin.party receives its own license as a service provider in the Silver State.
MGM Online is expected to launch a free-play online poker site in early 2013 in preparation for its real-money venture.
Last October, MGM partnered with bwin.party and Boyd Gaming ahead of legalized gambling. Under the terms of the arrangement, bwin.party will own 65 percent of the company for providing and maintaining the software for both gaming companies. MGM will hold 25 percent ownership and Boyd will own 10 percent.
Bwin.party has already submitted a license application as a service provider in Nevada but isn't likely to meet with gaming regulators until next year. According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Howard Stutz, though, the NGC made it clear in Thursday's meeting that bwin.party "isn't a guaranteed approval" for a license in Nevada.
PokerNews will have more on this story as it develops. Follow PokerNews on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news.
- PokerStars SCOOP Promotion Closing Fast!
- Tony G To Attend ISPT; Purchase Shares of Him Through MyPokerSquad.com
- 2013 World Poker Tour World Championship Day 1: Failla Thrills at the Start
- 2012-13 WSOP Circuit Harrah's New Orleans Main Event Day 1b: Rahul Deevara Leads
- WSOP Releases the 2013 Carnivale of Poker Schedule
Most Popular This Week
- Audio Tapes Expose Ultimate Bet Cheating Scandal; Phil Hellmuth Responds
- Ivey Purportedly Won £7.8 Million Playing Punto Banco by Reading Back of Flawed Cards
- Season 9 EPT Grand Final Super High Roller Day 1: Mercier Mashing; Ivey Busts Twice
- Doyle Brunson to Forgo Tournament Play at the WSOP
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction