$1 Million Big One for One Drop to Return in 2014; Little One for One Drop Scheduled
The biggest buy-in tournament in poker history took place in Las Vegas during the 2012 World Series of Poker. The inaugural $1 million Big One for One Drop tournament raised $10 million for the One Drop foundation, and awarded the largest first-place prize in poker history to Antonio “The Magician” Esfandiari — $18.346 million.
On Monday night, during the live broadcast of the 2012 World Series of Poker Main Event Final Table, Guy Laliberté, founder of Cirque du Soleil and chairman of One Drop, announced that the $1 million Big One for One Drop would return for a second time during the 2014 WSOP. What’s more, the WSOP will host the Little One for One Drop, a $1,111 buy-in bracelet event that will feature unlimited re-entries over two starting days, during the 2013 WSOP.
“It was an honor to be a part of such a special event that raised a total of $10 million for charity, including $5.3 million for One Drop and shone a positive light on the poker community,” said Caesars Interactive Entertainment CEO Mitch Garber.
“By working with the showman, Guy Laliberté, we have learned there was only one choice. An encore.We look forward to collaborating with Guy and One Drop to continue to find fun and exciting ways to make a positive and lasting contribution through the vehicle that is the great game of poker.”
“It’s amazing what you can achieve when you dream,” said Laliberté. “We took the concept of a $1 million poker tournament and turned it into the most successful poker initiative ever held. As a result, over 100,000 people will be positively impacted. Projects in Honduras, El Salvador, and West Africa have already put to use the money we raised in the initial event.
"With the ‘Little One’ and the ‘Big One’ on the horizon, we can continue to greatly impact the lives of those in need, while at the same time raising awareness of the impact water has on our planet.”
- 2013 WPT Championship Day 5: Negreanu Bubbles Final Table; Rheem and Lindgren Lead
- Ben "Bttech86" Tollerene Joins 3Bet Poker Clothing Team
- Survivor's "Boston" Rob Mariano on Poker, Daniel Negreanu's Reality TV Aspirations & More
- 2013 World Poker Tour $100,000 Super High Roller Day 1: Silverman, Timoshenko in Front
- GPI Player of the Year: Small Shake Up in the Top 10; Mercier Jumps to No. 15
Most Popular This Week
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
- WSOP Releases the 2013 Carnivale of Poker Schedule
- Benny Spindler, Sami Kelopuro and Ana Marquez All Capture SCOOP Titles
- WPT on FSN Five Diamond Part I: Negreanu's Six Bullets & Esfandiari's Final Table Magic
- The Online Railbird Report: The Professionals Dominate with $1.5M Wins