Schleswig-Holstein Awards Three Online Gaming Licenses; Betfair Benefits
On Thursday, Schleswig-Holstein awarded three online gambling licenses. In September, the German state voted to allow sports betting and online poker as long as the sites were established in the European Union.
Betfair was awarded a license for sports betting, as was mybet, a subsidiary of Jaxx AG, and the state lottery. The licenses are valid until 2018.
"We view this as a significant positive for the company [Betfair], given that it further erodes the bear case on the stock that Betfair would be unable to get licensed outside of the UK," analysts at BarCap told Reuters.
A 20 percent tax on gross profits will be taken from licensees and Schleswig-Holstein has allowed for online casino-style gaming, which Germany's 15 other states wanted to ban.
According to Reuters, Schleswig-Holstein's interior ministry said that in the upcoming weeks, more licenses are expected to be awarded to for online poker and other casino-style games.
Follow PokerNews on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news.
*Image courtesy of Flags-and-anthems.com
- 2013 World Series of Poker Europe Schedule Announced; High Rollers Bracelet Event Added
- 2013 World Poker Tour Championship Day 3: Babakhani Leads, Eyes Back-to-Back Titles
- Become a Bounty Hunter in the bet-at-home.com Bounty Brawl Freerolls
- Marcel Luske's International Poker Rules Association Launches Revamped Site, Mobile App
- Luke Graham Wins 2012-13 WSOP Circuit Harrah's New Orleans Main Event for $228,600
Most Popular This Week
- Jamie Gold's 2006 WSOP Main Event Bracelet Up for Auction
- Doyle Brunson to Forgo Tournament Play at the WSOP
- WSOP Announces 2013-14 Circuit Schedule: 10th Season, 22 Events, Three Added Stops
- Season 9 EPT Grand Final Super High Roller Day 2: Mercier Leads the Final Table
- The Railbird: Gus Hansen Wins $1.57 Million in One Day Playing Primarily FLO8
No comments yet. Be the first to post one!