Russia’s “tolstiykry” kicked off 2017 in the best way possible by winning the PokerStars Sunday Million for $178,747.90 on Jan. 1.
Although lower than usual attendance for online tournaments was expected, 6,289 players participated in the $215 buy in event, smashing the $1 million guarantee by more than $250,000. No deal was struck at the final table of this weekend’s Sunday Million, meaning tolstiykry secured a massive payout of $178,747.90 and his heads-up opponent, “bob43155”, also banked a six-figure score of $122,915.10.
Austria’s “readas_reada” also found the winner’s circle, topping a field of 250 players in the $1,050 Sunday Grand. Victory in this star-studded tournament this week was worth a cool $48,071.86.
Some of the more notable victories in PokerStars’ high stakes online tournaments on Jan. 1 included:
- Joao Henrique “sydens” Sydenstricker – winner of the $109 Sunday Starter for $5,187.30
- Jonathan “MONSTER_DONG” Karamalikis – winner of the $109 Sunday Kickoff for $14,344.46
- “jimbojiff” – winner of the $215 Sunday Warm-Up for $46,996.77
- “Anjeyyy” – winner of the Big $109 for $20,046.67
- “sk2ll_m0dR” – winner of the $700 Super-Sized Sunday for $29,577.84
- Laszlo “omaha4rollz” Bujtas – winner of the $1,050 Sunday Grand PLO for $29,000.58
- “rosas22” – winner of the $109 Sunday Cooldown for $13,052.54
- Tomas “p1relli” Tamasauskas – winner of the $215 Sunday Supersonic for $31,133.81
- “sosna83” – winner of the $109 Sunday Wrap-Up for $9,500.08
Over at partypoker, “Scouts326” claimed the largest prize of the weekend, turning $2,600 into $42,875 by winning the $100,000 Super High Roller. “InNackenKacken” took full advantage of the $24,200 overlay in the $150,000 Gtd Main Event and scooped the $25,188.45 first-place prize.
A player calling themselves “WilliamKassouf” emerged victorious in the $40,000 Gtd Weigh-In and won $8,398.09, with “Gl4diat0r” coming out on top in the $250,000 Gtd Title Fight to secure a $41,971.50 score on the first day of the New Year.
Finally, for this week’s Sunday Briefing at least, are the results from 888poker’s biggest tournaments.
“ROLDY18” of the Netherlands became the $50,000 Baby Whale champion after outlasting 265 opponents in the $320 buy in event. This week’s victory was worth a cool $16,319.10.
In the $80,000 Mega Deep, “imjustagirl” turned $215 into $18,810 by finishing first out of a field of 495 players, while “PennyHrdaway” triumphed in the $50,000 Sunday Challenge and boosted his or her bankroll by an impressive $11,692.98.
There should be plenty of big scores at 888poker in the coming weeks because the $5 million guaranteed Super XL Series kicks off on Jan. 19. If the previous edition is anything to base judgement on, tournament grinders at 888poker are in for a real treat.
Be sure to complete your PokerNews experience by checking out an overview of our mobile and tablet apps here. Stay on top of the poker world from your phone with our mobile iOS and Android app, or fire up our iPad app on your tablet. You can also update your own chip counts from poker tournaments around the world with MyStack on both Android and iOS.