Vitaly Lunkin Wins EPT Barcelona €50,000 Super High Roller for €771,300

Vitaly Lunkin

The first event of the European Poker Tour Season 10 — the €50,000 Super High Roller at the EPT Barcelona — concluded on Sunday as Vitaly Lunkin topped the 51-entry field to win €771,300, a Shamballa bracelet, and the season’s first major title.

The day began as eight players returned for final table action, but one of them would leave empty handed as only seven spots were to be paid. Along with Lunkin, the final table included chip leader Ole Schemion, Timothy Adams, Steve O'Dwyer, Mike McDonald, Erik Seidel, Fabian Quoss, and David Benefield.

EPT 10 Barcelona Super High Roller Results

1stVitaly Lunkin€771,300
2ndErik Seidel€557,100
3rdSteve O’Dwyer€355,100
4thMike McDonald€269,400
5thDavid Benefield€208,150
6thOle Schemion€159,200
7thFabian Quoss€128,515

The bubble burst a little more than halfway into Level 19 (30,000/60,000/5,000) when action folded to Adams, who began the day on the short stack, and he shoved for his last 665,000 from the hijack. The next three players all folded to Erik Seidel in the big blind, he looked down at his cards and then made a quick call.

Seidel: {q-Hearts}{q-Clubs}
Adams: {k-Spades}{9-Spades}

Interestingly, Seidel had pocket queens the hand before when he shoved and swiped the blinds. According to the PokerNews Odds Calculator, Seidel was a 67.70% favorite to win the hand while Adams would come from behind 31.92% of the time.

Vitaly Lunkin Wins EPT Barcelona €50,000 Super High Roller for €771,300 101
The EPT 10 Barcelona Super High Roller Final Table

The {2-Clubs}{4-Diamonds}{k-Clubs} flop was kind to Adams as it paired his king and made him an 86.67% favorite. Seidel's chances of winning the hand dropped to 13.33%, but it went up to 25% when the {10-Clubs} turn gave him a flush draw. Much to Adams' dismay, and the relief of the other players, the {3-Clubs} spiked on the river to give Seidel the flush. Adams exited in eighth place for no money while the remaining seven players are now guaranteed at least €128,515.

Just a couple hands later, McDonald opened with a raise from middle position to 125,000, and Quoss moved all in over the top for 1,030,000 from the cutoff. Action folded back around to McDonald, and he called.

McDonald: {a-Clubs}{k-Clubs}
Quoss: {k-Spades}{q-Spades}

McDonald was in the dominant position but the flop proved to be interesting for both players with {3-Spades}{8-Hearts}{a-Spades}, giving McDonald top pair but Quoss flush outs to stay alive. The turn made things even more interesting with the {j-Diamonds} giving Quoss additional outs to make a Broadway straight on the river. In the end, though, nothing materialized for Quoss as the {9-Diamonds} completed the board and he was eliminated in seventh place. Quoss took home €128,515 for his efforts.

In Level 20 (40,000/80,000/10,000), O'Dwyer raised to 175,000 from under the gun and it folded around to Schemion on the button. Schemion announced a three-bet all in for 1.315 million total and it came back to O'Dwyer who snapped him off.

O'Dwyer: {a-Diamonds}{a-Spades}
Schemion: {4-Clubs}{4-Hearts}

Schemion was crushed and was in dire need of help to stay alive in the tournament. A run out of {2-Diamonds}{k-Clubs}{8-Hearts}{8-Spades}{6-Spades} provided none of that help and Schemion, who 115 minutes earlier began the day as chip leader, was sent to the rail in sixth place for a €159,200 prize.

Vitaly Lunkin Wins EPT Barcelona €50,000 Super High Roller for €771,300 102
David Benefield

A short time later, Benefield, who is a member of this year’s World Series of Poker November Nine, fell in fifth place for €208,150, and that led to a heated four-handed battle that last until a cooler sent McDonald home in fourth place. It happened toward the end of Level 21 (50,000/100,000/10,000) when McDonald raised to 200,000 under the gun with the {k-Diamonds}{q-Diamonds} and Lunkin called from the small blind with the {6-Hearts}{6-Clubs}. O'Dwyer came along from the big blind with the {k-Hearts}{j-Spades} and three players saw a flop of {q-Hearts}{q-Spades}{6-Diamonds}, which gave McDonald trips against Lunkin's full house. There were two checks over to McDonald who put out a continuation bet of 250,000. Lunkin slid out a check-raise to 750,000 and O'Dwyer mucked his hand. McDonald thought for a moment and then flatted to see a turn.

Fourth street was the {8-Spades} and Lunkin came out swinging with a bet of 1,000,000. Timex responded by shipping all in over the top for 1.95 million and Lunkin snapped him off. McDonald was left looking to make a bigger full house on the river, but it was actually Lunkin who improved with the final card as the {6-Spades} rivered giving him quads. A dejected McDonald was eliminated in fourth place and earned €269,400 for his performance.

Three-handed play saw each player flirt with the chip lead, but eventually things came to a head. In Level 22 (60,000/120,000/20,000), O'Dwyer opened for 260,000 on the button holding the {10-Spades}{9-Spades} only to have Seidel, who looked down at the {a-Spades}{a-Clubs} in the small blind, three-bet it to 625,000. After Lunkin folded the big blind, O'Dwyer opted to make the call and saw a flop of {10-Diamonds}{4-Clubs}{j-Diamonds}.

Vitaly Lunkin Wins EPT Barcelona €50,000 Super High Roller for €771,300 103
Erik Seidel

Seidel was first to act and wasted little time in betting 600,000. After 30 seconds or so, O'Dwyer announced that he was all in for 2.445 million and Seidel quickly called. "That's probably not good," O'Dwyer said even before seeing his opponent's hole cards. Indeed it was as O'Dwyer needed some help. The {j-Hearts} turn was anything but as it gave Seidel two pair and took away the majority of O'Dwyer's outs. The dealer burned one last time and put out the {q-Spades} on the river, the last card O'Dwyer would see in the tournament before taking his leave in third place for €355,100.

Seidel began heads-up play with a slight chip lead, and not surprisingly it turned into a long affair. Lunkin managed to pull out to a big lead, then Seidel battled back. It was dog eat dog until Lunkin doubled with pocket kings, and then a short time later it was all over.

In the final hand, which happened in Level 24 (100,000/200,000/30,000), Seidel peeked down at his hole cards on the button and open-shipped all in for his last 2,140,000. Lunkin calmly stacked his new chips from the double up the and waited a moment before looking at his cards. He took a glance and casually announced a call.

Seidel: {k-Diamonds}{q-Clubs}
Lunkin: {a-Clubs}{5-Hearts}

Lunkin was leading with ace-high and extended his lead when the {6-Spades}{a-Spades}{6-Clubs} flop hit the felt. The {8-Clubs} fell on fourth street and Seidel was drawing dead. The two competitors shook hands as the meaningless {4-Spades} finished off the board. Seidel took home €557,100 for his second-place finish.

Congratulations to Vitaly Lunkin, the Season 10 EPT Barcelona €50,000 Super High Roller Champion. While that concludes our coverage from this specific tournament, you can follow our updates from the Main Event, which is happening now.

Qualify for EPTs, WSOPs, UKIPTs and many more live tournaments by signing up for PokerStars today!

Get all the latest PokerNews updates on your social media outlets. Follow us on Twitter and find us on both Facebook and Google+!

Name Surname
Executive Editor U.S.

Executive Editor US, PokerNews Podcast co-host & 2013 WSOP Bracelet Winner.

More Stories

Other Stories