Now LiveEvents
PokerStars Championship Prague
888poker
New poker experience at 888poker

Join now to get $88 FREE (no deposit needed)

Join now
PokerStars
Double your first deposit up to $400

New players can use bonus code 'STARS400'

Join now
partypoker
partypoker Cashback

Get up to 40% back every week!

Join now
Unibet
€200 progressive bonus

+ a FREE Unibet Open Qualifier ticket

Join now

Survey Says 25 Percent of Macau Visitors Gamble at Casinos

Macau
Sharelines
  • Interesting facts about Macau: 25% of visitors gamble with about 1/3 of that group wagering $125 or less.

Macau is known in the poker world as Asia's premier destination for live action. However, not everyone thinks this way, as according to the Macao Visitor Profile Survey 2nd Quarter Report, just 25 percent of tourists visiting the city gamble at the local casinos.

Additionally, 38 percent of those responding that they do gamble while visiting Macau, spend less than MOP1,000 ($125.27) on the activity. Furthermore, 21 percent, or a little more than one out of five people, that did gamble while visiting Macau spent under MOP500 ($62.64).

These are just a few of the bigger problems that Macau-based casinos are facing, as on a whole the industry has experienced 18 straight months of declining revenues when compared to the same month a year prior. This isn't to say that some people aren't gambling bigger amounts in Macau. According to data in the survey, 25 percent of those admitting to gambling on their trip to the city wagered more than MOP5,000 ($626.37).

Out of the 1,025 tourists surveyed between April and June 2015, 60 percent were female and 40 percent were male. Not surprisingly, most of the tourists or 68 percent of those surveyed traveled from mainland China. The Asian destinations of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Malaysia were the next three most popular locations from which players most traveled to Macau from at 17 percent, eight percent, and six percent, respectfully.

The hotel industry also can't be very happy with the results of the survey, with more than half of the tourists (58 percent) coming in for a day trip only, with the remaining 42 percent staying for at least one night.

There appears to be loyalty among those that visit, with 70 percent of those surveyed stating that they have visited the city at least once before. Out of that group, 70 percent shared with surveyors that they visited Macau at least three times in the past five years.

Lead image provided by Wikipedia.org.

Want to stay atop all the latest in the poker world? If so, make sure to get PokerNews updates on your social media outlets. Follow us on Twitter and find us on both Facebook and Google+!

More Stories

Other Stories

What do you think?