Currently in Canada: Playground, partypoker Set New Canadian Record
Keep up with all the news coming out of the Canadian poker world with this quick recap of the top headlines of the last week from PokerNews Canada.
Playground and Partypoker Set New Canadian Record
As Playground Poker Club’s Spring Poker Classic played out its final days along with the partypoker MILLION North America Main Event, poker history was made in Canada.
After surpassing the CA$5 million guarantee (the largest guarantee for a Canadian tournament ever), the prize pool settled at CA$5,709,750, beating the previous biggest prize pool set by the 2007 World Poker Tour (WPT) North American Poker Championship at CA$5,133,335.
Jean-Pascal Savard won that event, winning CA$956,000 after a heads-up deal with Jonathan Bussieres, but he didn’t beat the record for the largest tournament cash. Scott Clement’s 2007 WPT win of CA$1,456,585 still holds the national record.
- Siebert Early Leader at partypoker MILLION North America Main Event
- Elias Bags a Top Stack in partypoker Million North America ME Day1b
- Upeshka De Silva Bags Big After partypoker MILLION North America ME Day 2
- Montgomery Leads Field Into partypoker MILLION North America Day 4
- Playground Poker Spring Classic: Christopher Savov Ships the 8-Max
- Partypoker Sets New Canadian Record for Richest Poker Tournament
- Engel Leads the partypoker MILLION North America Main Event Final Table
- Playground Poker Spring Classic: Duhamel, Ferguson, Pin-Disle Hoist Trophies
- Jean-Pascal Savard Wins the partypoker MILLIONS North America
- Playground Poker Spring Classic: Nick Nickoletopoulos Wins Final Event
Diamond Poker Classic Returns to Casino Regina
After an eight-year hiatus, the Diamond Poker Classic returned to Casino Regina last spring, and it’s returning again this June. The four-day, four-event series follows a similar format as the other series hosted at the same venue each year: the Station Poker Classic and Harvest Poker Classic.
Running from June 7 to 10, the four tournaments are all one-day events and escalate in buy-in each day from CA$400 to CA$1,100. PokerNews Canada will be on site throughout the series live reporting all of the action.
Ryan Yu and Jonas Mackoff Have a Successful Sunday
In our weekly Sunday Briefing where we detail the Canadian results from the weekend’s biggest tournaments, two Canadians stood apart from the rest. While huge online tournament series began on 888poker, PokerStars, and partypoker, Ryan Yu and Jonas Mackoff found great results under the maple leaf.
Ryan Yu, who plays under the name “ineedsheet” on partypoker, came third in their special $1 million guaranteed event which had an overlay of well over $300,000. He collected $70,600 for finishing third.
In another $1 million guaranteed tournament, Jonas “donut604” Mackoff finished sixth. It was in PokerStars’ famous Sunday Million and he earned $43,225 for the final table appearance.
Everybody needs an account at one of these online poker rooms! They're the biggest, the best, and we get you the best poker bonuses. Check out our online poker section for details on all the online poker rooms around.