888poker 8-Team Set to Descend on the 2018 World Series of Poker
888poker sent five teams to the 2017 World Series of Poker, each consisting of a team captain, a wingman, and a qualifier. They're planning to send more teams to the 2018 WSOP and the stakes are even higher than last time.
Team Brazil’s Joao Sousa Monteiro went the deepest of all the 8-Team members, finishing in 583rd in the Main Event for a $22,449 score. Monteiro qualified for the 2017 WSOP Main Event for only $30, which made his incredible run even more impressive. 888poker gave Monteiro a package to the 2018 WSOP Main Event for winning the 8-Team challenge and will be giving this year’s winning 8-Team members a 2019 WSOP Main Event package each.
Six teams will be heading to Las Vegas this summer as part of the 8-Team promotion. Brazil, Canada, Germany, Sweden, and the United Kingdom will be joined by the newly added Spain team.
Heading up the UK’s team is the legendary Chris Moorman while Team Brazil’s captain is Vivian Saliba, who is the newest addition to the Team 888poker roster. Parker “Tonka” Talbot captains Team Canada, former WSOP Main Event champion Martin Jacobson is the Team Sweden captain, while Dominik Nitsche is the captain of Team Germany.
Marti Roca de Torres leads Team Spain into battle. Roca was a regular in low stakes tournaments in his native Spain but he won the 2017 WSOP Europe Main Event for €1,115,207 to propel himself into the limelight.
Earning 8-Team Points
Instead of copying last year’s survival system — the winner of the 8-Team last year was based on being the last player standing — 888poker has devised a points system for 2018.
Each team member will receive points based on the WSOP Main Event Day they survived and can earn bonus points if they finish the day as the chip leader. Also, the team qualifier who is the last player standing will gain a 100-point bonus for their team.
|Day||Points||Team Max||Chip Lead Bonus|
888poker will be revealing each team’s wingman in the near future plus details of how you can become part of the 8-Team as a qualifier, so stay tuned to PokerNews as we will bring you these updates.
Be sure to complete your PokerNews experience by checking out an overview of our mobile and tablet apps here. Stay on top of the poker world from your phone with our mobile iOS and Android app, or fire up our iPad app on your tablet. You can also update your own chip counts from poker tournaments around the world with MyStack on both Android and iOS.
In this Series
- 1 888poker 8-Team Set to Descend on the 2018 World Series of Poker
- 2 Anton Wigg Joins Martin Jacobson as Wingman in 888poker's 8-Team
- 3 Main Event Battle Royale – 888poker’s “8-Team” Captains & Wingmen
- 4 Mike Leah & Qualifier Jonathan Schaler on Canada’s 8-Team Chances
- 5 888poker’s Team Germany Geared Up for Day 1C of the WSOP Main Event
- 6 Team UK Leads 888poker 8-Team Competition Despite Losing Niall Farrell
- 7 888poker Qualifier Talks Short-Lived 2018 WSOP Main 8-Team Experience
- 8 8-Team Day 2C Update: Team Germany & Sweden Eliminated, Brazil Leads
- 9 888poker 8-Team Day 3 Update: Down to Final Four w/ Moorman in Lead
- 10 888poker 8-Team Day 4 Update: Arseniy Karmatskiy vs. Chris Moorman
- 11 Chris Moorman Leads Team UK to Victory in 888poker 8-Team Competition