Chris Moorman Leads Team UK to Victory in 888poker 8-Team Competition
The second annual 888poker 8-Team Competition came to an end on Day 5 of the 2018 World Series of Poker Main Event at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino.
What originally began with seven teams of three – each comprised of a captain, wingman, and an online qualifier – was down to the final two in EPT Sochi Main Event champ Arseniy Karmatskiy and Chris Moorman, who served as captains for Team Russia and UK respectively.
Through five days, Team UK amassed 400 points despite losing wingman Niall Farrell on Day 1 of the tournaments. That’s because Moorman managed to finish as the chip leader among the surviving players on both Days 3 and 4 to earn big bonus. As a result, Moorman, Farrell and online qualifier Billy Chattaway, who finished 652nd in the Main Event for $21,750, each earn a $12,500 prize package to the 2019 WSOP Main Event.
Team Brazil officially finished in second place thanks to a deep run by Pedro Correa, who took 356th in the Main Event for $33,305. By doing so he became the last qualifier standing for a 100-point bonus. Taking the bronze medal was Team Russia, who could’ve surpassed Team UK had Karmatskiy gone deeper. Unfortunately, he busted on Day 5 in 268th place for $42,980.
He was technically the last player standing in the competition as Moorman busted five spots earlier in 273rd place for $42,980.
|Team||Day 1 Points||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Total Points|
|Team United Kingdom||50||40||150||160||400|
Day 5 Action
Moorman fell in Level 21 (10,000/20,000/3,000) when Hari Bercovici opened and got calls from the Team UK captain on the button and Pierre Gentil in the small blind.
The flop came and Gentil checked to Bercovici, who continued for 175,000. Moorman then raised all in for around 530,000. Gentil then check-raised all in for 1,240,000 and Bercovici folded. Moorman tabled the for top pair but Gentil was ahead with for two pair. Neither the turn nor river helped Moorman and he was sent to the rail in the last hand before the break.
Not long after in Level 22 (12,000/24,000/4,000), Karmatskiy moved all in for 345,000 from middle position holding the and Gentil called from the cutoff. Randall Lack then three-bet to 650,000 with the on the button, both blinds folded, and Gentil got out of the way. The board ran out and Karmatskiy failed to win the flip, this ending the 2018 WSOP 888poker 8-Team Competition.
Also, here’s a look at how all 21 participants fared in the Main Event:
|Team||888poker Team Captain||Wingman/Wingwoman||Qualifier|
|Team Brazil||Vivian Saliba (Did not cash)||Bruna Unzueta (DNC)||Pedro Correa (356th - $33,305)|
|Team Canada||Parker “Tonka” Talbot (DNC)||Mike Leah (DNC)||Jonathan Schaler (DNC)|
|Team Germany||Dominik Nitsche (DNC)||Andre Krieger (DNC)||Claas Segebrecht (DNC)|
|Team Spain||Marti Roca de Torres (DNC)||Fernando Pons (DNC)||Javier Llorente (DNC)|
|Team Sweden||Martin Jacobson (DNC)||Anton Wigg (DNC)||Pontus Anderberg (DNC)|
|Team United Kingdom||Chris Moorman (273rd - $42,980)||Niall Farrell (DNC)||William Chattaway (652nd - $21,750)|
|Team Russia||Arseniy Karmatskiy (268th - $42,980)||Daria Feshchenko (DNC)||Georgy Philippovich (DNC)|
Click the links below for a look at early stages of the competition:
- Two players fall on Day 1C, Team UK out to early lead.
- Herd thinned on Day 2 as Team Germany and Sweden fall.
- Team UK leads with four players remaining.
- Heads-up: Chris Moorman vs. Arseniy Karmatskiy.
While the 8-Team competition has come to an end, the 2018 WSOP Main Event rolls on. You can follow all he action now in the PokerNews Live Blog here.
Photos courtesy of 888poker.
Executive Editor US, PokerNews Podcast co-host & 2013 WSOP Bracelet Winner.
In this Series
- 1 888poker 8-Team Set to Descend on the 2018 World Series of Poker
- 2 Anton Wigg Joins Martin Jacobson as Wingman in 888poker's 8-Team
- 3 Main Event Battle Royale – 888poker’s “8-Team” Captains & Wingmen
- 4 Mike Leah & Qualifier Jonathan Schaler on Canada’s 8-Team Chances
- 5 888poker’s Team Germany Geared Up for Day 1C of the WSOP Main Event
- 6 Team UK Leads 888poker 8-Team Competition Despite Losing Niall Farrell
- 7 888poker Qualifier Talks Short-Lived 2018 WSOP Main 8-Team Experience
- 8 8-Team Day 2C Update: Team Germany & Sweden Eliminated, Brazil Leads
- 9 888poker 8-Team Day 3 Update: Down to Final Four w/ Moorman in Lead
- 10 888poker 8-Team Day 4 Update: Arseniy Karmatskiy vs. Chris Moorman
- 11 Chris Moorman Leads Team UK to Victory in 888poker 8-Team Competition