Top 5 Best Poker Games you NEED to Play
Table Of Contents
- 1. Learn and Play Texas Hold'em Poker
- What is Texas Hold'em Poker?
- Where to Learn Texas Hold'em Poker
- The Best Online Sites to Play Texas Hold'em Poker
- 2. Learn and Play Omaha Poker
- What is Omaha Poker?
- Where to Learn Omaha Poker
- The Best Online Sites to Play Omaha Poker
- 3. Learn and Play Seven-Card Stud
- What is Seven-Card Stud?
- Where to Learn Seven-Card Stud Poker?
- What Are The Best Online Sites to Play Seven-Card Stud?
- 4. Learn and Play 2-7 Triple Draw
- What is 2-7 Triple Draw?
- Where to Learn 2-7 Triple Draw?
- What are The Best Online Sites to Play 2-7 Triple Draw?
- Play and Learn Open-Faced Chinese Poker (OFC Poker)
- What is OFC Poker
- Where to Learn OFC Poker
- The Best Online Sites to Play OFC Poker
Discover the perfect poker game you'd like to play from these five popular options!
1. Learn and Play Texas Hold'em Poker
Texas Hold'em is the most popular poker game in the world. If you want to learn the rules and play online poker games, this is a great place to start.
This is especially true because most of the marquee tournaments worldwide (WSOP, WPT, EPT, etc.) use this variation.
What is Texas Hold'em Poker?
Texas Hold'em Poker is one of the most popular variants of the classic card game poker. It's a community card game that combines elements of skill, strategy, and psychology. In Texas Hold'em, players aim to win chips or money by forming the best possible hand from a combination of their own two private cards (hole cards) and five community cards that are dealt face up on the table.
The game typically begins with two players posting forced bets known as the small blind and the big blind. Then, each player at the table is dealt two private cards, followed by a round of betting. Afterward, three community cards called the "flop" are revealed, and another round of betting occurs. Two more community cards, the "turn" and the "river," are revealed one at a time, with betting rounds in between.
Players can use any combination of their hole cards and the community cards to make the best five-card hand. The hand rankings in Texas Hold'em follow traditional poker rules, with options ranging from high cards to the coveted royal flush.
The objective is to either have the best hand at the showdown or force your opponents to fold their hands through strategic betting and bluffing. Texas Hold'em is known for its depth of strategy, as players must read their opponents, manage their chip stack, and make calculated decisions throughout the game.
Texas Hold'em has gained immense popularity worldwide, largely due to its accessibility, simplicity of rules, and the excitement of high-stakes tournaments like the World Series of Poker (WSOP). It is a game that combines skill, psychology, and a bit of luck, making it a thrilling and enduring card game enjoyed by players of all skill levels.
Where to Learn Texas Hold'em Poker
You can learn Texas Hold'em Poker online through various poker training websites, YouTube tutorials, and mobile apps. Many casinos and poker rooms also offer beginner's classes or tutorials for in-person learning. Additionally, reading books on poker strategy by renowned authors can provide valuable insights into the game.
The Best Online Sites to Play Texas Hold'em Poker
The best online sites to play Texas Hold'em Poker offer a combination of key factors that make for an exceptional gaming experience. These factors include game variety, player traffic, user-friendly interfaces, security, bonuses, and customer support.
PokerStars: Known for its massive player base, PokerStars is a top choice. It offers a wide range of Texas Hold'em games, from micro-stakes to high-rollers, as well as various tournament formats. The site's software is highly regarded for its reliability and features like multi-tabling.
If you're visiting from the United States, make sure to check out our comprehensive page on how to play PokerStars in the US.
- 888poker: 888poker is lauded for its user-friendly interface and beginner-friendly tables. It provides a range of Texas Hold'em games and tournaments, including Sit & Go's and Blast Poker. They often offer attractive bonuses and promotions for both new and existing players.
- PartyPoker: PartyPoker is known for its innovative software and robust tournament offerings. They host numerous Texas Hold'em events and have a strong player community. Partypoker emphasizes fair play and offers various tools to help players manage their gaming experience.
- WPT Global: WPT Global is the new kid on the poker block, sporting state-of-the-art software with the backing of one of the most popular poker brands in the world. Explore cutting-edge poker technology and discover the best types of poker to play, including fan favorites such as Hold'em and Omaha Poker.
Each of these platforms ensures player safety through secure transactions and responsible gaming measures. Additionally, they provide customer support channels, including live chat and email assistance.
Ultimately, the best site for you depends on your preferences, whether it's the variety of games, the size of the player pool, or the user interface. It's advisable to explore these sites, take advantage of welcome bonuses, and choose the one that aligns with your poker goals and style.
2. Learn and Play Omaha Poker
Welcome to the world of Omaha Poker, a thrilling and strategic card game that's gaining popularity worldwide. In this section, we'll delve into the rules, where you can play the game, and how you can learn and excel at playing Omaha Poker.
What is Omaha Poker?
Omaha Poker is a popular poker variant and is known for its exciting gameplay and strategic depth. In Omaha, players receive four hole cards instead of two, and they must use precisely two of them in combination with three of the five community cards to create the best possible hand.
The main types of Omaha Poker games are:
- Pot Limit Omaha (PLO): PLO is the most widely played Omaha variant. Here, the maximum bet a player can make is limited to the current size of the pot. This creates larger pots and more action, making it a favorite among experienced players.
- No Limit Omaha (NLO): Similar to PLO, but without betting restrictions. Players can go all-in at any point, making it a high-stakes and aggressive game.
- Omaha Hi-Lo: Also known as Omaha 8 or Better, this variant adds a twist by awarding the pot to the best high hand and the best low hand (if there is one) in each round. It requires a different strategy to scoop both pots or secure half of each.
- Five-Card Omaha/Big O: In this less common variant, players receive five hole cards instead of four. They must still use exactly two of them with three community cards.
Each type of Omaha Poker offers unique challenges and opportunities, demanding a strong understanding of hand rankings, position, and complex decision-making. It's a game beloved by poker enthusiasts seeking a fresh and challenging experience.
Where to Learn Omaha Poker
To learn about Omaha Poker, explore online resources like poker websites, YouTube tutorials, and dedicated Omaha forums. Consider practicing on poker platforms offering Omaha games like PokerStars and 888poker. Reading books and articles on Omaha strategy by experts can also be valuable in honing your skills.
The Best Online Sites to Play Omaha Poker
The best online sites to play Omaha Poker offer a combination of key factors that make for an enjoyable and rewarding gaming experience. These factors include game variety, player traffic, software quality, security, bonuses, and customer support.
PokerStars, one of the industry giants, stands out for its vast player base, offering a wide array of Omaha games, including Pot-Limit Omaha (PLO), Hi-Lo, and various stake levels. Their reliable software, frequent tournaments, and excellent customer support make it a top choice for Omaha enthusiasts.
888poker is known for its user-friendly interface and generous promotions. They offer Omaha games, including Pot-Limit Omaha and Omaha Hi-Lo, catering to both beginners and experienced players. Their reputation for fair play and commitment to player security is a plus.
PartyPoker is another prominent platform, offering a variety of Omaha cash games and tournaments. They prioritize player safety and fair gaming practices. Their software is regularly updated, enhancing the overall playing experience.
The best site for you depends on your preferences, including the stakes you want to play, game variations, and the overall player experience. Consider bonuses and rewards programs when choosing a site. All three mentioned, PokerStars, 888poker, and partypoker, have established themselves as reputable options for Omaha Poker enthusiasts.
3. Learn and Play Seven-Card Stud
Seven-Card Stud, a classic poker variant, involves players receiving seven cards, three face-down and four face-up, with the aim of creating the best five-card hand. It combines strategy, memory, and observation.
What is Seven-Card Stud?
In this game, players aim to create the best five-card poker hand from a total of seven cards dealt to them throughout the hand. Unlike community card games like Texas Hold'em, Seven-Card Stud is a "closed" game, meaning players receive a mix of face-up and face-down cards, adding an element of hidden information and strategy.
Here's a breakdown of how Seven-Card Stud is typically played:
- Initial Deal: Each player is dealt two private (hole) cards and one face-up card (known as the "door card").
- Betting Rounds: Betting starts with the player holding the lowest-ranked face-up card, known as the "bring-in." Subsequent betting rounds involve additional face-up cards ("streets") being dealt, with each round accompanied by betting.
- Final Cards: After the seventh card (the last being dealt face-down), there is a final betting round
- Showdown: Players reveal their hole cards, and the best five-card hand wins the pot.
Variations of Seven-Card Stud include Seven-Card Stud Hi-Lo (or Stud 8), where the pot is split between the best high hand and the best low hand, and Razz, a lowball version where the lowest hand wins. These variations add complexity and strategic depth to the classic game, making Seven-Card Stud a beloved choice among poker enthusiasts.
Where to Learn Seven-Card Stud Poker?
To learn Seven-Card Stud, start with comprehensive guides and tutorials available online or consider joining poker forums for discussions and advice. Practicing on free poker sites or apps can help you grasp the rules and strategies.
What Are The Best Online Sites to Play Seven-Card Stud?
- PokerStars: Renowned for its variety of poker games, PokerStars offers Seven-Card Stud in different limits and formats. Their software quality, player traffic, and security measures make it a top choice.
- 888poker: Known for its user-friendly interface and solid player base, 888poker provides various Seven-Card Stud games. Their bonuses and loyalty programs are appealing.
- PartyPoker: Another reputable option with a range of Seven-Card Stud tables, partypoker focuses on player safety and fair play. Regular updates enhance the gaming experience.
The best site depends on your preferences, but key factors include game variety, software quality, security, bonuses, and customer support. Ensure you're comfortable with the site's interface and community before playing.
4. Learn and Play 2-7 Triple Draw
2-7 Triple Draw is a lowball variant of poker where the goal is to make the lowest possible five-card hand. Players have three chances to draw and improve their hand.
What is 2-7 Triple Draw?
2-7 Triple Draw is a unique and intriguing variant of poker that belongs to the draw poker family. In this game, the primary objective is to create the lowest possible five-card hand to win the pot, making it a lowball variant. What sets 2-7 Triple Draw apart is that straights and flushes don't count against your hand, making the best hand a 2-3-4-5-7, ideally with no pairs. The game is typically played with a limit betting structure, meaning there are set betting amounts for each round.
During 2-7 Triple Draw, players receive five cards face down. They then have the opportunity to discard and draw new cards in three separate drawing rounds. The goal is to improve your hand's low value by discarding undesirable cards and drawing replacements.
Other draw poker variants include Five Card Draw and 2-7 Single Draw, where players receive five cards and can exchange some or all of them in a single drawing round. In Five Card Draw, the player at showdown with the strongest hand wins the hand while in 2-7 Single Draw the player with the best low takes the pot.
Each of these draw poker games offers a unique strategic challenge and an opportunity for players to develop their skills in different aspects of poker.
Where to Learn 2-7 Triple Draw?
To learn 2-7 Triple Draw, start with the basics of poker hand rankings and the rules of the game. Many websites, poker books, and online tutorials offer comprehensive guides. Practice and experience are key to mastering this unique draw game.
What are The Best Online Sites to Play 2-7 Triple Draw?
PokerStars is a top choice for 2-7 Triple Draw due to its game variety, traffic, and software quality. Look for reputable sites with a player-friendly interface, active player base, security measures, and bonus offers. Remember to play responsibly.
Play and Learn Open-Faced Chinese Poker (OFC Poker)
Open-Faced Chinese Poker (OFC Poker) is an exciting variant of traditional Chinese Poker that has gained popularity for its unique gameplay and strategy.
What is OFC Poker
OFC Poker is a captivating and innovative poker variant that has taken the poker world by storm. In OFC Poker, players receive a set number of cards, typically 13, and must arrange them into three separate hands: two five-card hands and one three-card hand. The key rule is that each hand must be stronger than the one below it.
Players take turns drawing cards and placing them on their boards, making strategic decisions on the fly. Points are awarded based on hand strength and bonuses for certain combinations, making the game both skilful and thrilling. The absence of betting rounds makes OFC Poker a unique, non-gambling poker variant suitable for casual and serious players alike.
Where to Learn OFC Poker
You can learn OFC Poker through online tutorials, books, and dedicated websites. Several apps and platforms offer practice games to hone your skills before diving into real-money play.
The Best Online Sites to Play OFC Poker
The best online sites to play OFC Poker, such as PokerStars, offer a combination of features that enhance your gaming experience. Look for platforms with a variety of OFC Poker formats, like Pineapple and Progressive Fantasyland, catering to different preferences.
Critical factors to consider include software quality, player traffic, security, and bonus offerings. PokerStars, for example, stands out for its renowned reputation, player volume, and generous promotions. A good OFC Poker site ensures fair play, fast payouts, and reliable customer support.
Ultimately, the best site for you depends on your preferences and priorities, but reputable options like PokerStars provide a secure and enjoyable environment for OFC Poker enthusiasts.
Calum has been a part of the PokerNews team since September 2021 after working in the UK energy sector. He played his first hand of poker in 2017 and immediately fell in love with the game. Calum's proudest poker achievement is winning the only tournament he has ever played in Las Vegas, the prestigious $60 Flamingo evening event.