Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
In episode 310 of the Top Pair Home Game Poker Podcast, Bruce Briggs and Robbie Strazynski interview 2018 Women in Poker Hall of Fame inductee Lupe Soto. Best known for her tireless efforts to promote women in poker, Lupe has been working in the poker industry for close to two decades. In this podcast, she publicly reveals – for the first time ever – the extent of her involvement in the online poker world during its early years, as well as numerous inspiring behind-the-scenes stories of her Hall of Fame career in women’s poker advocacy.
Plus, the usual entertaining round of “home game news” from our co-hosts and a fun One Outer that’ll be sure to give you a good chuckle.
Show Time Stamps
|00:59–15:28||How Ya Runnin?|
|Bruce: More tales from Eric’s “alphabet game” with the addition of “SHOP” (simultaneous Hold’em and Omaha Play). The “9:30 rule” and a little listener feedback.|
|Robbie: What it’s like to suffer your biggest home game loss ever. Cliffs: It SUCKS!|
|17:07–1:15:05||Look Who We’ve Found (Interview with Lupe Soto)|
|17:23||How Lupe first got introduced to poker… it all started with Stud in the mid-1990s at Sycuan Casino.|
|22:22||What Lupe enjoys about poker: both the social aspects of the game as well as the mathematical, strategic, and psychological aspects.|
|23:36||Diving into Lupe’s home game background: “I kind of feel like I’m the queen of home games!” How the “poker hotties” groups got started nationwide in the late 1990s and early 2000s.|
|30:26||Discussing ladies-only home games and the possible GoFundMe initiative of an RV traveling throughout the U.S. to live-stream showcase one home game after another.|
|35:05||Discussing the proper etiquette, behavior, and attitude in home games and in poker rooms where both men and women are playing.|
|38:59||What are Lupe’s favorite poker variants and her typical stakes? Why she plays cash games (and mixed games, in particular) almost exclusively.|
|43:40||Fussyoldfart.com (yes… really) and seniors poker games.|
|47:02||In a recent interview Lupe did with Earl Burton for Poker News Daily, she casually noted that she once owned an online poker room as well as a big super-affiliate site. Digging deeper into that history, Lupe reveals on the podcast – for the first time publicly – that she founded VictoryPoker.com, which she ended up selling to and then running for Dan Fleyshman as the company’s COO.|
|54:20||What is LIPS (Ladies International Poker Series) all about, how and why did Lupe decide to found the organization?|
|57:00||Discussing the challenge of getting casinos to start running ladies-only poker tournaments. Having to wait in the lobby of the Bicycle Casino for a full day just to get a 5-minute audience with the marketing director… and how that short meeting ended up leading to a huge success for LIPS.|
|1:00:06||Back in 2004: “I’ve been promoting this event forever… if I can’t get 50 women to show up for this tournament, then don’t pay me!” Over 200 women showed up!|
|1:04:50||Why did Lupe found the Women in Poker Hall of Fame?|
|1:06:52||Details on the 2018 Women in Poker Hall of Fame induction ceremony: Tuesday, June 26th at the Orleans Casino. Luncheon, emceed by Jan Fisher. Open to the public. Lupe will be inducted by the First Lady of Poker, Linda Johnson.|
|1:12:30||Getting the word out about the brand new Women’s Poker Association (WPA).|
|1:16:49||One Outer – You don’t always have to pay full price for good poker stories…|
* First 296 episodes are archived and available at www.toppair.net
Be sure to complete your PokerNews experience by checking out an overview of our mobile and tablet apps here. Stay on top of the poker world from your phone with our mobile iOS and Android app, or fire up our iPad app on your tablet. You can also update your own chip counts from poker tournaments around the world with MyStack on both Android and iOS.
In this Series
- 1 Top Pair Podcast 297: Welcome to PokerNews; Sarah Herring Interview
- 2 Top Pair Podcast 298: Mixed Games - The Rules of... "Scrotum"
- 3 Top Pair Podcast 299: Interview with Bernard Lee
- 4 Top Pair Podcast 300: Sean Chaffin Talks 'True Gambling Stories'
- 5 Top Pair Podcast 301: When a Poker Noob Wins a Bad Beat Jackpot
- 6 Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
- 7 Top Pair Podcast 303: Interview w/ New Home Game Player Shannon Mack
- 8 Top Pair Podcast 304: For a Successful Home Game, Just Stay Calm!
- 9 Top Pair Podcast 305: Interview with John Hesp
- 10 Top Pair Podcast 306: Who's At Your Ultimate Fantasy Home Poker Game?
- 11 Top Pair Podcast 307: Interview with Scott Blumstein
- 12 Top Pair Podcast 308: The Ultimate Ladies Home Poker Game
- 13 Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
- 14 Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
- 15 Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
- 16 Top Pair Podcast 312: Interview with Aria Poker Room's Mike Williams
- 17 Top Pair Podcast 313: Behind the Scenes at the 2018 WSOP Main Event