WCOOP 2020 Day 19: Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski Continues Brazilian Dominance
There's been plenty of countries that established themselves as a force to be reckoned with over the years. Needless to say, the United States has always been around, and Germany has established itself as a well-known poker powerhouse for years. But the past years, it's been Brazil that's been crushing it at the tables, and the verde e amarela has become ubiquitous with poker success.
Day 19 of the 2020 PokerStars World Championship of Online Poker (WCOOP) was no different as Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski won the third WCOOP title of his career in as many years in WCOOP-59-H: $5,200 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze], defeating Steve "Mr. Tim Caum" O'Dwyer heads-up to secure a payday of $119,483. In the WCOOP 2020, Brazilians have already claimed a staggering total of 29 titles.
More champs were crowned on Thursday with Joep "Pappe_Ruk" van den Bijgaart scoring a big victory in WCOOP-61-H: $1,050 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout], Andrey "Kroko-dill" Zaichenko booking a win in WCOOP-62-H: $1,050 Stud Hi Lo, and Jussi "calvin7v" Nevanlinna topping WCOOP-60-M: $55+R PLO [6-Max]. Nevanlinna also ran deep in the high edition of the same event where he finished in fourth place.
Check out below for everything that transpired in the WCOOP on Thursday night.
The PokerNews live reporting team is on top of all things WCOOP. Don't miss a beat!
Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski Wins Third WCOOP Title in WCOOP-59-H: $5,200 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze]
The year of Brazil continues as yet another title in the PokerStars World Championship of Online Poker 2020 has been awarded to a player from the poker stronghold in South America. Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski who earned his third WCOOP title in as many years in WCOOP-59-H: $5,200 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze] after defeating Steve "Mr. Tim Caum" O'Dwyer to best a field of 97 entries and took home the lion's share of the $500,000 guaranteed prize pool.
A maiden WCOOP title for Kovalski came in 2018 WCOOP-31H: $1,050 NLHE as he topped a field of 2,077 entries for $282,545. He then conquered a 767-entry strong field one year later in WCOOP-19-H: $530 NLHE [4-Max] to claim $64,912.
The Brazilian has already cashed for more than $3.5 million on PokerStars and racked up several cashes in the ongoing festival including a 4th place in WCOOP-27-H: $1,050 NLHE [Freezeout] for $32,915. The latest victory comes with a top prize of $119,483 whereas runner-up O'Dwyer was denied a second title and received a consolation prize of $92,338.
Also featured on the final table were the known poker pros Filipe "Zagazaur" Oliveira, Samuel "€urop€an" Vousden, Tomi "elmerixx" Brouk, and Sam "Str8$$$Homey" Greenwood.
WCOOP-59-H: $5,200 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze] Final Table Results
|Place||Winner||Country||Payout (in USD)|
|1||Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski||Brazil||$119,483|
|2||Steve "Mr. Tim Caum" O'Dwyer||Ireland||$92,338|
|3||Filipe "Zagazaur" Oliveira||Portugal||$71,360|
|5||Samuel "€urop€an" Vousden||Finland||$42,619|
|7||Tomi "elmerixx" Brouk||Finland||$25,453|
|8||Sam "Str8$$$Homey" Greenwood||Canada||$19,671|
Joep "Pappe_Ruk" van den Bijgaart Wins WCOOP title in WCOOP-61-H: $1,050 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
A big victory for Dutchman Joep "Pappe_Ruk" van den Bijgaart who reigned supreme in WCOOP-61-H: $1,050 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout] for a first-place prize of $32,452 and an additional bounty of $35,645. Van den Bijgaart defeated Narcis "Narcisus90" Nedelcu heads-up, with the latter also receiving $32,452 but settling for a lower bounty of $16,090. Ole "wizowizo" Schemion, Ognyan "cocojamb0" Dimov, and David "deivid29" Tovar were among the big guns making the final table.
The Dutchman has over a decade-long track record of crushing in the mid- and high stakes on PokerStars and scored his second WCOOP victory last night. He established his name on the international circuit back in 2011 after making one of the greatest folds in EPT history against Ben Wilinofsky at EPT Berlin.
With Van den Bijgaart's win, the Dutch now have nine titles to boast during the WCOOP 2020.
WCOOP-61-H: $1,050 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout] Final Table Results
|Place||Player||Country||Prize (incl. bounty)|
|1||Joep "Pappe_Ruk" van den Bijgaart||Netherlands||$68,096|
|2||Narcis "Narcisus90" Nedelcu||Romania||$48,542|
|5||David "deivid29" Tovar||United Kingdom||$13,522|
|6||Ognyan "cocojamb0" Dimov||Bulgaria||$15,287|
|8||Ole "wizowizo" Schemion||Germany||$7,995|
WCOOP Day 19 Results
No fewer than fifteen winners were crowned on Thursday night. Check out below for a complete overview of all the events.
WCOOP-59-L: $55 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze]
WCOOP-59-M: $530 NLHE [8-Max, Midweek Freeze]
WCOOP-60-L: $5.50+R PLO [6-Max]
WCOOP-60-M: $55+R PLO [6-Max]
Nevanlinna is the reigning WCOOP Player of the Series and continued his success with a win in WCOOP-60-M: $55+R PLO [6-Max] for $22,363. Francisco "Tomatee" Benitez, Noah "Exclusive" Boeken, and Pimmss were also at the final table.
|Winner||Jussi "calvin7v" Nevanlinna (Finland)|
WCOOP-60-H: $530+R PLO [6-Max]
WCOOP-61-L: $11 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
WCOOP-61-M: $109 NLHE [6-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
|First-place Prize||$15,631 + $11,749|
WCOOP-62-L: $11 Stud Hi-Lo
WCOOP-62-M: $109 Stud Hi-Lo
WCOOP-62-H: $1,050 Stud Hi-Lo
Third time was the charm for Andrey "Kroko-dill" Zaichenko in this event, who turned his third bullet into a payday of $24,745 in WCOOP-62-H: $1,050 Stud Hi-Lo. Noah "Exclusive" Boeken also ran deep in this event, finishing seventh.
|Winner||Andrey "Kroko-dill" Zaichenko (Russia)|
WCOOP-64-L: $11 FLO8 [8-Max]
WCOOP-64-M: $109 FLO8 [8-Max]
WCOOP-64-H: $1,050 FLO8 [8-Max]
Just three tournaments are in-play and will continue on Saturday, as Friday is an offday.
WCOOP-63-L: $22 NLHE [8-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
|Chip Leader||mc_fred33 (Canada)|
WCOOP-63-M: $215 NLHE [8-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
|Chip Leader||Breno2728 (Brazil)|
WCOOP-63-H: $2,100 NLHE [8-Max, Progressive KO, Freezeout]
|Chip Leader||Jo589 (Germany)|
Events Scheduled on September 18
Friday is an offday for all WCOOP-players! New events will kick off on Saturday, while the big Main Events including the $10M guaranteed $5,200 Main Event begin on Sunday!
Follow along with the dedicated PokerNews WCOOP Hub to stay on top of all things WCOOP.
The Stars Group is a majority shareholder in Oddschecker Global Media, the parent company of PokerNews
In this Series
- 1 WCOOP 2020 Day 1: "Spraggy" Strikes Gold on Opening Night
- 2 WCOOP 2020 Day 2: Danchev Scores $400K; Deeb Eyes Seventh Title
- 3 WCOOP 2020 Day 3: Geilich Leads High Roller; Deeb Misses Out on Glory
- 4 WCOOP 2020 Day 4: Wins for Geilich and Oliver, Third Title for Boeken
- 5 WCOOP 2020 Day 5: Andras "probirs" Nemeth Wins First WCOOP Title
- 6 WCOOP 2020 Day 6: Three New Winners Crowned
- 7 WCOOP 2020 Day 7: Yuri "theNERDguy" Dzivielevski First Repeat Winner of WCOOP 2020
- 8 WCOOP 2020 Day 8: Third Title for Mateos; Two for Stokkan as Holz Leads SHR
- 9 WCOOP 2020 Day 9: Back-to-Back Titles for Mateos; Wins SHR for $543K
- 10 WCOOP 2020 Day 10: Huge Scores For Zancan and “NoTilit”
- 11 WCOOP 2020 Day 11: Online Legend Beresford Finally Off the Mark with First WCOOP Title
- 12 WCOOP 2020 Day 12: Second WCOOP Title for Andras "probirs" Nemeth
- 13 WCOOP 2020 Day 14: Astedt and Frank Win Second Title; Leknes Wins Fifth
- 14 WCOOP 2020 Day 15: Back-to-Back Titles for Niklas "Lena900" Astedt
- 15 WCOOP 2020 Day 16: Dzivielevski Makes it Three With Big Win in Sunday Slam
- 16 WCOOP 2020 Day 17: Moreira Denies Gruissem WCOOP Title
- 17 WCOOP 2020 Day 18: Parker "tonkaaaa" Talbot Becomes A WCOOP Champ
- 18 WCOOP 2020 Day 19: Fabiano "Kovalski1" Kovalski Continues Brazilian Dominance
- 19 WCOOP 2020 Day 21: "luelue399" Wins WCOOP-63-H: $2,100 NLHE Thursday Thrill SE
- 20 WCOOP 2020 Day 22: The WCOOP Main Events are Underway!
- 21 WCOOP 2020 Day 23: Brummelhuis, Nevanlinna Among Winners, Main Events in the Money
- 22 WCOOP 2020 Day 24: Main Events Reach Their Final Tables
- 23 Andre "PTFisherman23" Marques Wins the 2020 WCOOP $5,200 Main Event After Three-Way Deal ($1,147,271)
- 24 WCOOP 2020 Day 25: "1mSoWeeeaK", "klimono" Win Main Events, Lyapin WCOOP Player of the Series