Nominees for 2022 Global Poker Awards Announced; Ceremony Takes Place February 18
Table Of Contents
- Full 3rd Global Poker Awards Nominees
- Best Final Table Performance
- GPI Breakout Player
- Players Choice for Toughest Opponent
- Best Streamer
- Best Live Reporter
- Fans Choice: Best Trophy
- Best Event
- Best Vlogger
- Twitter Personality
- Best Industry Person
- Best Tournament Director
- Best Podcast
- Best Broadcaster
- Best Media Content: Written
- Best Media Content: Photo
- Best Media Content: Video
- Fans Choice: Best Hand
- Fans Choice: Poker Personality
The nominees for the 3rd Global Poker Awards have been unveiled with plenty of familiar faces from the poker world listed among them.
The winners will be announced at ceremony on Friday, February 18. The ceremony will be streamed live on PokerGO from the PokerGO Studio at Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
The list features five individuals who are nominated twice, with broadcasters Jamie Kerstetter, Joe Stapleton and Jeff Platt among them. They are joined by Doug Polk and popular French poker vlogger Johan "YoH ViraL" Guilbert.
There is still time for poker fans to submit their votes for the Fans Choice: Poker Personality category, which Guilbert is nominated in alongside Greg "Greg Goes All In" Liow, Jonathan Little and Japan's Masato Yokosawa.
Full 3rd Global Poker Awards Nominees
Here is a list of all the nominees for the 3rd Global Poker Awards:
Best Final Table Performance
The World Series of Poker (WSOP) secured a clean sweep of nominees in this category, with Dan "Jungleman" Cates hoping to follow in Phil Hui's footsteps, and secure this award for his victory in the WSOP Poker Players Championship.
Also nominated are WSOP Main Event winner Koray Aldemir, three-time WSOP bracelet winner Jeremy Ausmus and Adam Friedman, who sensationally won the $10,000 Dealer's Choice for the third consecutive time.
- Koray Aldemir - WSOP Event #67: $10,000 Main Event
- Jeremy Ausmus - WSOP Event #84: $50,000 Pot-Limit Omaha High Roller
- Dan "Jungleman" Cates - WSOP Event #60: $50,000 Poker Players Championship
- Adam Friedman - WSOP Event #36: $10,000 Dealer’s Choice 6-Max Championship
GPI Breakout Player
Four players who shone in 2021 and earned their spots in the GPI Breakout Player category. First on the ballot is 27-year-old Chris Brewer who showcased his talents at the 2021 Poker Masters, while Kyna England was named MSPT Season 12 Player of the Year.
Guilbert finds himself with another nomination after he grabbed himself a title at the SHRB Europe. Vanessa Kade is the final nominee thanks to winning the PokerStars Sunday Million 15th Anniversary and also shining on the PokerGO Tour.
- Chris Brewer
- Kyna England
- Johan Guilbert
- Vanessa Kade
Players Choice for Toughest Opponent
A veritable who's who up next in the Players Choice for Toughest Opponent category. Defending champion Stephen Chidwick is going to have to fend off stiff competition from the likes of Michael Addamo and Ali Imsirovic — both of whom are nominated for the second time in a row — as well as David Peters.
- Michael Addamo
- Stephen Chidwick
- Ali Imsirovic
- David Peters
PokerStars and GGPoker Ambassadors both feature in the Best Streamer category, with PokerStars Lex Veldhuis nominated once again having won the award every time since the Global Poker Awards were introduced.
Also nominated is popular American streamer Jonathan "apestylespoker" van Fleet.
- Kevin "kevinmartin" Martin
- Ben "Spraggy" Spragg
- Jonathan "apestylespoker" Van Fleet
- Lex "LexVeldhuis" Veldhuis
Best Live Reporter
It's a clean sweep for PokerNews live reporters past and present in the Best Live Reporter category, with four of the most hard-working individuals in the industry up for the award. World Poker Tour reporter Mickey Doft and PokerGO Senior Content Manager Tim Duckworth were both once heavily involved in the PokerNews live reporting team and have since moved on to other projects.
Meanwhile, Executive Editor (US) Chad Holloway and Christian Zetzsche were backbones of the PokerNews 2021 WSOP reporting team and will be hoping their hard work is recognised by the nomination panel.
- Mickey Doft
- Tim Duckworth
- Chad Holloway
- Christian Zetzsche
Fans Choice: Best Trophy
- Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup
- MSPT South Dakota State Championship
- Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open Championship
- WPTDeepStacks Gold Coast
- Seminole Hard Rock Rock ‘N’ Roll Poker Open Opening Event
- World Series of Poker Main Event
- Wynn Mystery Bounty
- Wynn Millions
- Jaman Burton
- Ryan Depaulo
- Brad Owen
- Ethan "Rampage" Yau
- Will Jaffe
- Jamie Kerstetter
- Kitty Kuo
- Kevin Mathers
Best Industry Person
- Tony Burns
- Jack Effel
- Mori Eskandani
- Matt Savage
Best Tournament Director
- Paul Campbell
- Justin Hammer
- Ray Pulford
- Andy Tillman
- Poker in the Ears (James Hartigan & Joseph Stapleton for PokerStars)
- The Chip Race Poker Podcast (David Lappin & Dara O’Kearney for Unibet Poker)
- The Doug Polk Podcast (Doug Polk)
- The Heart of Poker (Kara Scott)
- Jamie Kerstetter
- Ali Nejad
- Jeff Platt
- Joe Stapleton
Best Media Content: Written
- Lance Bradley for PocketFives: Isai Scheinberg: His Company, His Legacy, and How Black Friday Impacted Both
- Alex O’Brien for BBC: How a $10k poker win changed how I think
- D’Arcy Maine for ESPN.com: While battling brain cancer, Michael Graydon lives World Series of Poker dream
- Charles Rabin for Miami Herald: From immigration ‘cage’ to newest poker champ at Hard Rock. An Afghan refugee’s luck turns
Best Media Content: Photo
- Antonio Abrego for PokerGO: Adam Friedman defeats Phil Hellmuth for 3rd straight WSOP 10K Dealers Choice title
- Hayley Hochstetler: The End of an Era
- Enrique Malfavon for PokerGO: The WSOP Main Event Bubble Bursts
- Danny Maxwell for PokerNews/WSOP: Brandon Shack-Harris and his umbrella at WSOP
Best Media Content: Video
- Paul Guyer & Andrew Neeme: The Villain Who Stole Christmas
- Last Call Pokeridokumentii
- Jeff Platt for PokerGO: “Stand Up for Me, Please!”
- Remko Rinkema for PokerGO: Run it Back with Stefanie Ungar
- Run It Once: Meet The Jungleman
Fans Choice: Best Hand
- Daniel "Jungleman" Cates gets Leng to fold in 50K PPC
- Doug Polk makes epic fold vs. Phil Hellmuth on High Stakes Poker
- Nicholas Rigby pulls monster bluff during late stages of WSOP Main Event
- Quads over Quads on Day 3 of the WSOP Main Event (Chang Liu vs Ugur Secilmis)
Fans Choice: Poker Personality
- Johan "YoH ViraL" Guilbert
- Greg "Greg Goes All In" Liow
- Jonathan Little
- Masato Yokosawa
A total of 26 awards will be given out at the 3rd Global Poker Awards, including 2021 GPI Player of the Year and PokerGO Tour Player of the Year. There will also be awards for PokerICON and inaugural Mid-Major Player of the Year.
Will Shillibier is based in the United Kingdom. He graduated from the University of Kent in 2017 with a B.A. in German, and then studied for a NCTJ Diploma in Sports Journalism at Sportsbeat in Manchester. He previously worked as a freelance live reporter, and video presenter for the World Poker Tour.