Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
In episode 302 of the Top Pair Home Game Poker Podcast, Bruce Briggs and Robbie Strazynski interview 2003 WSOP Main Event Champion Chris Moneymaker.
In the 15 years since his landmark win that helped launch the poker boom, Chris has been interviewed thousands of times, but never with a focus on home games. We explore Chris’ home game past (and present) along with what it’s like for him to have “the perfect level of fame.”
Plus, there’s the always entertaining How Ya’ Runnin’? and One Outer segments that’ll have you smiling and chuckling all the way… to your next home game.
Show Time Stamps
|00:59–14:26||How Ya Runnin?|
|Some fun Super Bowl prop bets talk.|
|Robbie: Largest home game loss since last summer; it sucks to lose, but the pain will eventually subside… right?!|
|Bruce: Back at the home game tables with a vengeance in 2018; 3 games in 2 weeks!|
|15:43–1:01:41||Look Who We’ve Found (Interview)|
|16:00||Chris Moneymaker introduction.|
|17:25||The story of how Justin Timberlake got Chris’ bracelet for the Super Bowl halftime show. Did he wear it after all?|
|20:45||So many players say that they got into poker after watching Chris win the 2003 WSOP Main Event bracelet. How did Chris first get into poker?|
|22:47||Chris’ home game history prior to and after his Main Event win. He only started playing when he was about 25 years old!|
|26:16||What’s Chris’ favorite poker discipline? Does he consider himself more a pro player or an ambassador?|
|29:20||Chris still gets asked this SAME question in most interviews he’s done, even after 15 years.|
|32:45||Chris talks about his book Moneymaker: How an Amateur Poker Player Turned $40 into $2.5 Million at the World Series of Poker and being the subject of Eric Raskin's The Moneymaker Effect.|
|35:42||To what extent does Chris get recognized outside of poker rooms? He’s happy to have “the perfect amount of fame”; blends in easily but can get noticed if he wants to.|
|40:25||Has being an accountant helped with bankroll management over the years? Chris’ wife is his secret weapon!|
|44:22||Because of watching Chris on TV, more people started taking the game of poker seriously rather than goofing around.|
|49:32||Has Chris taught his kids how to play poker? Are they familiar with/into the game? How does poker factor into family life if at all?|
|55:30||What’s the closest poker room to where Chris lives? How often does he go play?|
|57:43||Up next for Chris: looking to distribute some PokerStars Player’s Championship Platinum Passes!|
|1:01:51||One Outer – If you keep your chips out for too long… they’ll get stale!|
*First 296 episodes are archived and available at www.toppair.net
Finding a trustworthy room to play online poker can be a monumental burden. That's all the more true if you're just looking for a place to play poker for free. We've listed five of the best play-money poker sites to enjoy and help hone your skills.
In this Series
- 1 Top Pair Podcast 297: Welcome to PokerNews; Sarah Herring Interview
- 2 Top Pair Podcast 298: Mixed Games - The Rules of... "Scrotum"
- 3 Top Pair Podcast 299: Interview with Bernard Lee
- 4 Top Pair Podcast 300: Sean Chaffin Talks 'True Gambling Stories'
- 5 Top Pair Podcast 301: When a Poker Noob Wins a Bad Beat Jackpot
- 6 Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
- 7 Top Pair Podcast 303: Interview w/ New Home Game Player Shannon Mack
- 8 Top Pair Podcast 304: For a Successful Home Game, Just Stay Calm!
- 9 Top Pair Podcast 305: Interview with John Hesp
- 10 Top Pair Podcast 306: Who's At Your Ultimate Fantasy Home Poker Game?
- 11 Top Pair Podcast 307: Interview with Scott Blumstein
- 12 Top Pair Podcast 308: The Ultimate Ladies Home Poker Game
- 13 Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
- 14 Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
- 15 Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
- 16 Top Pair Podcast 312: Interview with Aria Poker Room's Mike Williams
- 17 Top Pair Podcast 313: Behind the Scenes at the 2018 WSOP Main Event
- 18 Top Pair Podcast 314: Interview with Faded Spade Playing Cards founder Tom Wheaton
- 19 Top Pair Podcast 315: What American Poker Players Can Expect in Europe