WSOP Day 39: Tan Leads $1,500 NLHE; Hellmuth, Ivey Back for Main Day 3
It's another big weekend of poker. Today the $10,000 No-Limit Hold'em MAIN EVENT begins Day 3 where all of the starting flights will finally combine with Phil Ivey and Phil Hellmuth among those returning.
Elsewhere Longsheng Tan leads Day 3 of Event #66: $1,500 No-Limit Hold'em, while in Event #67: $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha Bounty, Robert Oxenberg returns for Day 2 as chip leader. Meanwhile Event #68: The Little One for One Drop - $1,000 +111 No-Limit Hold'em will kick off the first of three flights beginning on Saturday.
After three starting flights, two Day 2s, and second-best ever field of 7,874 players entering, a total of 2,786 players return for a combined Day 3 on Saturday.
From yesterday's Day 2c, 1,655 players will advance from the flight led by Ignacio Sanchez with 627,200 chips, which gives him the overall chip lead when play resumes today.
Yesterday Sanchez was followed by Eric Sfez (551,900), Victor Choupeaux (521,000), and Collen Yamagishi (504,300) at night's end.
Several big names are also moved on to Day 3 yesterday, including Phil Ivey (434,200), Samuel Touil (405,500), Ludovic Geilich (333,900), Ivan Luca (339,900), Jan Eric Schwippert (338,600), Cliff Josephy (285,400), and Phil Hellmuth (162,700).
With 1,182 players making the money, the bubble may well be arriving late tonight, so be sure to stay with PokerNews all day and night starting at 11 a.m. to follow all the live updates.
Just 26 runners remain in this event with Longsheng Tan returning as chip leader with 993,000. Tan has over $468,000 in live tournament winnings and looking for his first bracelet.
Rounding out the current top five are Heng Zhang (938,000), Stephen Bierman (744,000), Stephen Bierman (744,000), Trey Brabham (603,000), and Michael Wasserman (594,000).
Other coming back for Day 3 include Day 1 chip leader John Pannucci (512,000), Rex Clinkscales (420,000), and Timur Margolin (513,000).
Play resumes on Friday at 2 p.m. and PokerNews will bring you all the action as the event gets closer to a champion. Click here to follow along.
The bounty hunting got underway on Friday with this PLO event attracting 833 players. After a fast-paced day only 125 of them will return to the Rio for Day 2 on Saturday. The winner takes home $141,161 and a coveted gold bracelet.
Leading the way is Robert Oxenberg with 210,200, followed closely by Georgios Karavokyris (207,000), Haibo Chu (190,800), Christopher Doan (181,200), and William Gibbons (163,100). Oxenberg has right at $100,000 in live tournament winnings and looking for the biggest win of his career and first bracelet.
Others making Day 2 include Igor Sharaskin (132,600), Jameson Painter (94,000), Aaron Mermelstein (76,200), John Holley (60,900), David Williams, (60,400) Nipun Java (36,100), Jeff Gross (28,600), Robert Mizrachi (23,600), and Benny Glaser (12,600).
The PLO resumes at 2 p.m. and PokerNews will have all the big hands and bustouts. Click here to check it out.
Event #68: The Little One for One Drop - $1,000 +111 No-Limit Hold'em
This popular event offers poker players a chance to enjoy a big field event while also giving to the One Drop Foundation charity. The organization offers fresh water service to third world countries.
The event features three starting flights on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Players begin with 5,000 starting chips and can earn an extra 5,000 for a $111 donation. Levels last 60 minutes, and late registration is available for eight levels.
Play gets started at 11 a.m. today, and PokerNews will be there from start to finish with updates, chip counts, photos, and more.
Sean Chaffin is a freelance writer in Crandall, Texas. His work appears in numerous websites and publications. Follow him on Twitter @PokerTraditions. He is also the host of the True Gambling Stories podcast, available on iTunes, Google Play, TuneIn Radio, Spotify, Stitcher, PokerNews.com, HoldemRadio.com, and TrueGamblingStories.com.
In this Series
- 1 WSOP Day 1: It’s Showtime – with Casino Employees Championship and $10K Super Turbo
- 2 WSOP Day 2: Jodie Sanders Leads Casino Employees Event; Shootout & Omaha Hi/Lo on Tap
- 3 WSOP Day 3: Hellmuth, McKeehen, Cada Advance to Final 50 in Shootout
- 4 WSOP Day 4: Joe's Ready for Shootout Final Table, $100K Day 2 Awaits
- 5 WSOP Day 5: Petrangelo & Fox Lead $100K, Martini & Hoang Chasing Gold
- 6 WSOP Day 6: Vitch leads Triple Draw, Hellmuth Makes Day 2 in Omaha-8
- 7 WSOP Day 7: Elezra Leads $10K Omaha Hi-Lo, Hennigan Ahead in Dealer’s Choice
- 8 WSOP Day 8: Eli Elezra Seeks Fourth Bracelet Today in $10K Omaha Hi-Lo
- 9 WSOP Day 9: Racener, Deeb at Final Tables, Hellmuth Advances in H.O.R.S.E.
- 10 WSOP Day 10: Bonomo Looking for $10K Heads-Up Title, Negreanu Advances
- 11 WSOP Day 11: Bonomo Among Leaders in $5K NLHE, Zinno Leads Dealer's Choice
- 12 WSOP Day 12: Duhamel Looks for 4th Bracelet, Negreanu Advances to Day 2
- 13 WSOP Day 13: Negreanu, Matusow, Racener in Final 16 of 8-Game Mix
- 14 WSOP Day 14: Doyle Brunson Returns Looking for Bracelet #11
- 15 WSOP Day 15: Joe McKeehen Runs Deep in MILLIONAIRE MAKER
- 16 WSOP Day 16: Martin Jacobson, Scotty Nguyen Playing Deep in MARATHON
- 17 WSOP Day 17: Jason Mercier, Martin Jacobson Looking to Add Bracelets
- 18 WSOP Day 18: Glaser, Matusow, Negreanu, Bonomo Advance in PPC
- 19 WSOP Day 19: Michael Mizrachi, Phil Ivey Lead Poker Players Championship
- 20 WSOP Day 20: Mizrachi Leads Final 12 in $50K PPC, Ivey Still in Hunt
- 21 WSOP Day 21: Michael Mizrachi Aims for Third $50K PPC Title, 6 Remain
- 22 WSOP Day 22: Phil Hellmuth Advances in $1,500 NLHE Shootout
- 23 WSOP Day 23: Daniel Negreanu Returns Third in Chips in $25K PLO HR
- 24 WSOP Day 24: Yu Leads Biggest Omaha Tournament of Year, Negreanu Falls
- 25 WSOP Day 25: Scotty Nguyen Leads the $25K PLO
- 26 WSOP Day 26: Ferguson Looks for No. 7; Lamb, Mizrachi Advance in $10K PLO
- 27 WSOP Day 27: Hellmuth Advances in Razz, Big Names in Monster Stack
- 28 WSOP Day 28: Brandon Shack-Harris Leads Final 6 in $10K PLO
- 29 WSOP Day 29: Elezra, Hellmuth, Negreanu Return in $1,500 PLO Hi-Lo
- 30 WSOP Day 30: Gamble, Matusow, Negreanu in $1,500 PLO Hi-Lo Final 20
- 31 WSOP Day 31: John Hennigan Among Chip Leaders in $10,000 Razz Championship
- 32 WSOP Day 32: Anderson and Kassela Return to Battle for RAZZ Bracelet
- 33 WSOP Day 33: Jean-Robert Bellande Leads Final 6 in $5K NLHE 6-Handed
- 34 WSOP Day 34: Main Event Kicks Off, Mizrachi Leads PLO Giant
- 35 WSOP Day 35: Scotty Nguyen, Joe Hachem, Ray Romano Advance in Main Event
- 36 WSOP Day 36: Fireworks Expected on Day 1c of the Main Event
- 37 WSOP Day 37: Galen Hall Looks for 888 Title, Big Names Return in Main Event
- 38 WSOP Day 38: Huge Day 2c in the Main, John Pannucci Leads $1,500 NLH
- 39 WSOP Day 39: Tan Leads $1,500 NLHE; Hellmuth, Ivey Back for Main Day 3
- 40 WSOP Day 40: Hallaert Bags Big in Little One, Ivey Makes Day 4 of ME
- 41 WSOP Day 41: Minkin Making Another Main Event Run, Solomon Leads PLO
- 42 WSOP Day 42: Dyer Leads Main With Cada Still In, Bohlman Goes for Double
- 43 WSOP Day 43: Big Names Left in $5K NLHE, Cada Advances in Main Event
- 44 WSOP Day 44: Three More Bracelets Awarded As Main Event Finale Begins
- 45 WSOP Day 45: Volpe Seeks Bracelet, Dyer Leads Final 6 and Cada in Main
- 46 WSOP Day 46: Main Event Reaches Finale, Eibinger Leads $50K High Roller
- 47 WSOP Day 47: Big One for One Drop Begins, Kessler, ElkY Big Stacks in Closer