Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
In episode 311 of the Top Pair Home Game Poker Podcast, Bruce Briggs and Robbie Strazynski talk about the newly in vogue poker variant “Six Plus Hold’em,” a.k.a., “Short Deck” and they discover a site that actually WANTS to know about your bad beats. Plus, a detailed recap of Robbie’s trip to Vegas for the World Poker Tour Season XVI Tournament of Champions and 2018 Super High Roller Bowl.
Bruce talks Salt Lake City home game crackdowns and about the beauty of “triple draw,” while Robbie fills you in on his 30+ hours worth of Vegas poker sessions.
Finally, this episode’s One Outer is certainly a “family affair.”
Show Time Stamps
|1:02–38:12||How Ya Runnin?|
|Robbie: Full recap of Las Vegas trip to cover the Bobby Baldwin Classic, World Poker Tour Tournament of Champions, and Super High Roller Bowl. Description of the new Las Vegas eSports arena and PokerGO studio, two amazing brand new “homes” for poker that are FREE for poker fans to visit! The fan experience: getting to rub shoulders with some of the biggest names in poker and see Phil Ivey for the first time. 30+ hours of poker in half a dozen rooms, ending up in the red, but overcoming psychological demons and getting a pep talk from poker legend Eli Elezra.|
|25:44||Announcement: “PokerNews Network Podcast Night” - Tuesday June 26 at 7pm at the Treasure Island Poker room, $150 tournament, meet the hosts and guests of your favorite podcasts!|
|Bruce: Removing Badugi from the “alphabet” game and a home game debate on the exact meaning of “triple draw.” The 9:30 rule revisited and possibly instituting a “penultimate hand of the night” rule so as not to leave the game upstuck. Rumors re: the Salt Lake City poker scene being a bit wary of getting undesired visits by law enforcement officials.|
|39:30–51:12||Dealer’s Choice (a look at an unconventional poker variant)|
|40:20||An introduction to short deck (i.e., Six-plus hold’em). Popular in Asia and recently featured in tournament format during the Triton Poker Series in Montenegro. Noting the important differences between short deck vs. regular Texas Hold’em.|
|48:31||An interesting new website called Positive Poker Insiders, an online home for poker rants and confessions. They actually want to hear your bad beat stories!|
|52:50||One Outer – You don’t ALWAYS have to follow in your father’s footsteps at the poker tables…|
Everybody needs an account at one of these online poker rooms! They're the biggest, the best, and we get you the best poker bonuses. Check out our online poker section for details on all the online poker rooms around.
In this Series
- 1 Top Pair Podcast 297: Welcome to PokerNews; Sarah Herring Interview
- 2 Top Pair Podcast 298: Mixed Games - The Rules of... "Scrotum"
- 3 Top Pair Podcast 299: Interview with Bernard Lee
- 4 Top Pair Podcast 300: Sean Chaffin Talks 'True Gambling Stories'
- 5 Top Pair Podcast 301: When a Poker Noob Wins a Bad Beat Jackpot
- 6 Top Pair Podcast 302: Interview with Chris Moneymaker
- 7 Top Pair Podcast 303: Interview w/ New Home Game Player Shannon Mack
- 8 Top Pair Podcast 304: For a Successful Home Game, Just Stay Calm!
- 9 Top Pair Podcast 305: Interview with John Hesp
- 10 Top Pair Podcast 306: Who's At Your Ultimate Fantasy Home Poker Game?
- 11 Top Pair Podcast 307: Interview with Scott Blumstein
- 12 Top Pair Podcast 308: The Ultimate Ladies Home Poker Game
- 13 Top Pair Podcast 309: Home Game Dealing, Shuffling, and Tipping
- 14 Top Pair Podcast 310: Interview With Lupe Soto
- 15 Top Pair Podcast 311: WPT TOC, SHRB, Short Deck, and Bad Beats Aplenty
- 16 Top Pair Podcast 312: Interview with Aria Poker Room's Mike Williams
- 17 Top Pair Podcast 313: Behind the Scenes at the 2018 WSOP Main Event
- 18 Top Pair Podcast 314: Interview with Faded Spade Playing Cards founder Tom Wheaton
- 19 Top Pair Podcast 315: What American Poker Players Can Expect in Europe