Ivey Stories Ep. 9: Pat and Mel Humphries Friends from the Beginning
It’s time for another edition of Ivey Stories, which marks the ninth episode of the series. In this video, PokerNews caught up with Phil Ivey’s two biggest fans — Mel and Pat Humphries.
The couple, who’ve been following Ivey’s career from his start in Atlantic City, were at the 2014 World Series of Poker to support their man, who actually went on to capture his 10th gold bracelet by topping a field of 485 players in Event #50: $1,500 Eight-Game Mix for $167,332.
“He’s a nice guy," said Mel Humphries. "He’s a true gentleman all the way. I’ve never seen Phil talk about a play, or say anything about them. He gets beat, he takes it, he accepts it."
The twosome then went on to discuss how Ivey first caught their eye, playing $2/$4 hold’em against him, and much more. Check it out:
In this Series
- 1 Ivey Stories Ep. 1: Ivey Proves To Be a Quick Study
- 2 Ivey Stories Ep. 2: Betting Big On the Golf Course
- 3 Ivey Stories Ep. 3: Early Days in Atlantic City as "Jerome"
- 4 Ivey Stories Ep. 4: You Can't Bluff Phil Ivey
- 5 Ivey Stories Ep. 5: Jason Mercier Teaches Phil Ivey the "Mini" Raise
- 6 Ivey Stories Ep. 6: How Ivey Won $12 Million and Saved the Poker World
- 7 Ivey Stories Ep. 7: Picking Phil Ivey's Screen Name
- 8 Ivey Stories Ep. 8: Ivey's First Bracelet Win with Dave "Devilfish" Ulliott
- 9 Ivey Stories Ep. 9: Pat and Mel Humphries Friends from the Beginning
- 10 Ivey Stories Ep. 10: Phil Ivey Gets Slapped Across the Face by Daniel Negreanu