Borgata Files $9.6 Million Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey for Alleged Baccarat Cheating
The Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City is suing poker legend Phil Ivey for $9.6 million in winnings at the Baccarat table, according to a report from the New Jersey Law Journal on Friday.
The Borgata lawsuit alleges that Ivey exploited manufacturing flaws in playing cards during four sessions of Baccarat at the casino in 2012. Borgata claims that Ivey was able to spot tiny variations in the pattern printed on the backs of the cards in a method called "edge sorting."
Also named in the suit is card manufacturer Gemaco Inc., which designed the cards, as well as Ivey's partner, Cheng Yin Sun, who reportedly accompanied Ivey to the Baccarat table and gave instructions to the dealer.
Among the charges listed in the lawsuit include breach of contract, racketeering, fraud, conversion, unjust enrichment, and civil conspiracy.
Ivey is currently involved in the biggest legal battle in UK casino history in a very similar case. Last May he sued the Crockfords Casino for withholding £7.8 million (about $12 million) he won playing Punto Banco, a form of baccarat. Like Borgata, Crockfords claimed that Ivey used the "edge sorting" method at the casino.
Here's a graphic which explains how Ivey executed the technique, courtesy of the Daily Mail:
Ivey admitted to using edge sorting at Crockfords and said the casino had only itself to blame for not recognizing it. He released the following statement last May:
"I am deeply saddened that Crockfords has left me no alternative but to proceed with legal action, following its decision to withhold my winnings. I have much respect for Gentings, which has made this a very difficult decision for me... Over the years I have won and lost substantial sums at Crockfords and I have always honored my commitments. At the time, I was given a receipt for my winnings but Crockfords subsequently withheld payment. I, therefore, feel I have no alternative but to take legal action."
This is a developing story. We'll have more information as soon as it is available.
In this Series
- 1 Ivey Claims He Used "Edge Sorting" in £7.8 Million Lawsuit With Crockfords
- 2 Top 10 Stories of 2013: #10, Ivey, Kagawa, Smith, and Others Face Legal Trouble
- 3 Borgata Files $9.6 Million Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey for Alleged Baccarat Cheating
- 4 Details Emerge in Borgata's Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey
- 5 Sorting Out the Law Behind Phil Ivey's Edge Sorting Debacle at Borgata
- 6 Phil Ivey Files Motion to Dismiss Borgata Lawsuit, Claims Win Was "All Skill"
- 7 Ivey's Edge-Sorting Accomplice, Cheng Yin Sun, Files Lawsuit Against Foxwoods
- 8 Breaking Down the Legality of Cheung Yin Sun's Edge-Sorting Lawsuit Against Foxwoods
- 9 Phil Ivey to Discuss "Edge Sorting" Lawsuits on 60 Minutes
- 10 Phil Ivey Loses £7.7 Million "Edge Sorting" Court Battle Against Crockfords Casino
- 11 Phil Ivey Appeals Against Crockford’s Ruling
- 12 Top 10 Stories of 2014: #2, Phil Ivey Endures More Legal Drama
- 13 Judge Rules Borgata Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey Can Proceed
- 14 Phil Ivey Appears in Car Commercial for 2015 Chrysler 300
- 15 Foxwoods Survives Edge Sorting Lawsuit from Phil Ivey's "Queen of Sorts" Accomplice
- 16 Phil Ivey Files Countersuit Against Borgata Regarding $9.6M in Baccarat Winnings
- 17 Highlights from Ivey/Borgata Deposition: Booze, Pretty Cocktail Waitresses and More
- 18 Borgata Contests Phil Ivey Counter-Claims
- 19 Ivey Granted Permission to Appeal £7.8 Million Edge-Sorting Case Against Crockfords
- 20 Phil Ivey's £7.8 Million Appeal in Crockfords Case Began Yesterday
- 21 Court Opinion Split on Phil Ivey's $9.6M Baccarat Win
- 22 Phil Ivey Contests Borgata Request for His Baccarat Winnings
- 23 Court Orders Phil Ivey to Return $10.1M to Borgata
- 24 The Mysterious Year for Phil Ivey
- 25 Poker Pro Phil Ivey Will Try to Appeal Borgata $10M Ruling
- 26 UK Supreme Court Grants Phil Ivey Permission to Appeal Crockfords Case
- 27 Phil Ivey Loses £7.7M Supreme Court Appeal in London Edge Sorting Case
- 28 Top 10 Stories of 2017, #7: Phil Ivey Loses $19 Million in Court Battles
- 29 Gemaco Playing Cards Off the Hook in Borgata Ivey Edge-Sorting Debacle
- 30 Phil Ivey Looks to Delay Payment of $10.1M to Borgata
- 31 Phil Ivey in Danger of Losing More to Borgata
- 32 Borgata Given Clearance to Seize Phil Ivey's Nevada Assets
- 33 Film Based on Phil Ivey's Baccarat Partner Cheung Yin “Kelly” Sun in the Works
- 34 Report: Borgata Seeking Phil Ivey's WSOP Winnings Plus $214K Interest
- 35 Report: Borgata Secured Phil Ivey's $50K PPC Winnings
- 36 Ivey Borgata Case Takes Another Turn as Cates and Trincher File Objection
- 37 Ivey Versus Borgata Continues With Legal Proceedings