Judge Rules Borgata Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey Can Proceed
After losing his court battle with Crockfords Casino in October 2014, Phil Ivey will now have to face a similar lawsuit against Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. Last week, a federal judge ruled that the lawsuit filed in April 2014 could proceed.
The Atlantic City casino's lawsuit alleges that Ivey exploited manufacturing flaws in playing cards during four sessions of Baccarat at the casino in 2012 and it is suing the 10-time World Series of Poker gold bracelet winner for $9.6 million in winnings at the Baccarat table.
Borgata claims that Ivey was able to spot tiny variations in the pattern printed on the backs of the cards in a method called "edge sorting" — a situation he is all too familiar with given the Crockfords incident.
Despite an attempt to motion for a dismissal, U.S. District Judge Noel Hillman will allow the claim to enter the discovery phase, stating "Borgata has pled plausible claims sounding in fraud."
Also named in the suit is Cheng Yin Sun, who reportedly accompanied Ivey to the Baccarat table and gave instructions to the dealer.
"Ivey and Sun argue that Borgata willingly agreed to all of their requests and provided all the implements of gambling, and that all of those requests, along with their observation of the patterns on the playing cards, were lawful," Hillman said in a release posted on CourthouseNews.com. "Ivey and Sun also note that even though Borgata wishes to cast itself as a victim of deceptive intentions, the 'essential mission of Borgata's casino operation is to encourage patrons to lose money by orchestrating a plethora of deceptive practices, such as loud noises and flashing lights on slot machines, hiding the clocks, making exit signs almost impossible to find, having cocktail waitresses wear revealing clothing, and comping copious amounts of alcohol to 'loosen up' their patrons. There is no doubt that much of the defendants' characterization of the casino milieu is accurate, as tangential a defense as it may be."
Following the discovery phase, Ivey and Borgata could proceed to trial.
In this Series
- 1 Ivey Claims He Used "Edge Sorting" in £7.8 Million Lawsuit With Crockfords
- 2 Top 10 Stories of 2013: #10, Ivey, Kagawa, Smith, and Others Face Legal Trouble
- 3 Borgata Files $9.6 Million Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey for Alleged Baccarat Cheating
- 4 Details Emerge in Borgata's Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey
- 5 Sorting Out the Law Behind Phil Ivey's Edge Sorting Debacle at Borgata
- 6 Phil Ivey Files Motion to Dismiss Borgata Lawsuit, Claims Win Was "All Skill"
- 7 Ivey's Edge-Sorting Accomplice, Cheng Yin Sun, Files Lawsuit Against Foxwoods
- 8 Breaking Down the Legality of Cheung Yin Sun's Edge-Sorting Lawsuit Against Foxwoods
- 9 Phil Ivey to Discuss "Edge Sorting" Lawsuits on 60 Minutes
- 10 Phil Ivey Loses £7.7 Million "Edge Sorting" Court Battle Against Crockfords Casino
- 11 Phil Ivey Appeals Against Crockford’s Ruling
- 12 Top 10 Stories of 2014: #2, Phil Ivey Endures More Legal Drama
- 13 Judge Rules Borgata Lawsuit Against Phil Ivey Can Proceed
- 14 Phil Ivey Appears in Car Commercial for 2015 Chrysler 300
- 15 Foxwoods Survives Edge Sorting Lawsuit from Phil Ivey's "Queen of Sorts" Accomplice
- 16 Phil Ivey Files Countersuit Against Borgata Regarding $9.6M in Baccarat Winnings
- 17 Highlights from Ivey/Borgata Deposition: Booze, Pretty Cocktail Waitresses and More
- 18 Borgata Contests Phil Ivey Counter-Claims
- 19 Ivey Granted Permission to Appeal £7.8 Million Edge-Sorting Case Against Crockfords
- 20 Phil Ivey's £7.8 Million Appeal in Crockfords Case Began Yesterday
- 21 Court Opinion Split on Phil Ivey's $9.6M Baccarat Win
- 22 Phil Ivey Contests Borgata Request for His Baccarat Winnings
- 23 Court Orders Phil Ivey to Return $10.1M to Borgata
- 24 The Mysterious Year for Phil Ivey
- 25 Poker Pro Phil Ivey Will Try to Appeal Borgata $10M Ruling
- 26 UK Supreme Court Grants Phil Ivey Permission to Appeal Crockfords Case
- 27 Phil Ivey Loses £7.7M Supreme Court Appeal in London Edge Sorting Case
- 28 Top 10 Stories of 2017, #7: Phil Ivey Loses $19 Million in Court Battles
- 29 Gemaco Playing Cards Off the Hook in Borgata Ivey Edge-Sorting Debacle
- 30 Phil Ivey Looks to Delay Payment of $10.1M to Borgata
- 31 Phil Ivey in Danger of Losing More to Borgata
- 32 Borgata Given Clearance to Seize Phil Ivey's Nevada Assets
- 33 Film Based on Phil Ivey's Baccarat Partner Cheung Yin “Kelly” Sun in the Works
- 34 Report: Borgata Seeking Phil Ivey's WSOP Winnings Plus $214K Interest
- 35 Report: Borgata Secured Phil Ivey's $50K PPC Winnings
- 36 Ivey Borgata Case Takes Another Turn as Cates and Trincher File Objection
- 37 Ivey Versus Borgata Continues With Legal Proceedings