Galfond, Berkey Helping Propel Research into Mike Postle's Play
Table Of Contents
The poker community isn't done with the Mike Postle story just yet.
Stones Gambling Hall supervisor Justin Kuraitis claimed in his self-righteous monologue that the poker community "doesn't care about critical review of the actual facts" but that assertion certainly looks to be incorrect. Kuraitis repeatedly shouted from his Twitter mountain that accusations of Postle winning at extreme, impossible rates were vastly overstated.
He challenged anyone to come forward with proof, and that challenge has been accepted.
Taking the Challenge
Kuraitis claims there's six figures worth of phantom money in that count.
One way to truly get to the bottom of the divide is for someone or someones to painstakingly catalogue every hand Postle played over the course of roughly 90 livestreamed games across several months in mid-2019. As each stream lasts several hours, that tedious task would take a considerable amount of time and effort.
However, two prominent high-stakes pros have stepped up to help coordinate efforts to tackle this grind.
Twitter Tirade Irks Galfond
If Kuraitis hoped to sway anyone with his war of Twitter words, he may have instead accomplished the opposite, spurring a disgusted Phil Galfond into action.
I'm a busy guy. I probably wasn't ever going to think about Postle again, but @JFKPokerTD & @StonesGambling respond… https://t.co/4B89yE5uNy— Phil Galfond (@PhilGalfond)
Galfond said if all of the hand histories could be compiled via a crowd-sourcing effort, he'd write up a detailed report on the statistics of Postle's play. He said he'd likely focus on a few stats that would indicate some anomalies:
- River bluff success rate (bets)
- River bluff success rate (raises)
- River call efficiency
- Preflop four-bet frequency when no AA or KK is out
- Preflop four-bet frequency when AA or KK is out, no AA in Postle's hand
- Preflop five-bet frequency when no AA or KK is out
- Preflop five-bet frequency when AA or KK is out, no AA in Postle's hand
- Fold to flop raise when raiser is unpaired
- Fold to flop raise when raiser has pair or better
- Fold to turn raise when raiser is unpaired
- Fold to turn raise when raiser has pair or better
- Fold to river bet with best hand
- Fold to river bet without best hand
- Fold to river raise with best hand
- Fold to river raise without best hand
- Rate of river bets with hands that chop
- Rate of river raises with hands that chop
Galfond believes outlier numbers in these stats would be powerful circumstantial evidence against Postle.
KL Cleeton stepped up to help. He said he downloaded all 89 Stones cash game streams from the time of Postle's unrivaled winning, amounting to 425 hours of content. Posting to a cloud allowed him to share that massive trove with the individuals who signed up to transcribe hand histories.
The process of assigning the hand histories has begun, with Galfond creating a form that allowed those interested to sign up for some grunt work.
Berkey's Team Taking Tech-Savvy Approach
Another high-stakes reg who has taken an interest in compiling some data is Matt Berkey.
The owner of Solve For Why Poker Training Academy has a tech-savvy student who has apparently built a tool that could allow the S4Y team to compile everything as well, and without so much elbow grease involved.
@haralabob @JohnnieVibes @JFKPokerTD @Joeingram1 @Angry_Polak @DougPolkVids @mac_verstandig @Mike_Postle… https://t.co/i66lwFdCif— Matt Berkey (@berkey11)
Screen scraping would allow a machine to log the on-screen data before and after each hand Postle plays, saving humans the time and effort of doing so. It's a slightly different and less informative approach than converting everything to hand histories, but it could save hundreds of hours of work and more quickly produce a general picture of Postle's results that would prove or disprove Kuraitis' assertions that the accepted win has been exaggerated.
On Sept. 16, Berkey reported the scraper was operational and final bugs were being ironed out.
PokerNews will continue to monitor the results of these investigations and report any relevant findings that come to light.
In this Series
- 1 Mike Postle Accused of Cheating During Livestreamed Cash Games
- 2 10 Suspicious Hands Played by Mike Postle on Livestream
- 3 Stones Gambling Hall Suspends All Poker Broadcasts Following Alleged Cheating
- 4 Stones Launches Investigation Into Postle Cheating Saga
- 5 PokerNews Podcast: Stones Scandal
- 6 Mike Postle Goes on Mike Matusow's 'The Mouthpiece' Podcast, Denies Cheating
- 7 LATB, WSOP, PokerStars, and More on Security of Their Livestreams
- 8 Mike Postle, Stones Parties Hit With $10M Lawsuit
- 9 Graphics Company Reacts to Mike Postle Cheating Allegations Saga
- 10 Watch List: Investigative Videos Mike Postle Cheating Allegations
- 11 Watch Whistleblower Veronica Brill on Joey Ingram's Podcast
- 12 PokerNews Podcast: Jeff Boski on Postle Scandal
- 13 Mike Postle's Lawyer: "I Know Such Streaks Are Possible"
- 14 The Postle Lawsuit is Not as Clear Cut As It May Seem
- 15 Top 10 Stories of 2019: Mike Postle Caught Cheating on Livestream
- 16 Mike Postle Accused of Avoiding Court Summons
- 17 Mike Postle Files, Possibly Leaks Own Motion to Dismiss
- 18 Marle Cordeiro Files Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Seeking $250K
- 19 Stones in New Motion to Dismiss Mike Postle Lawsuit: “Casinos Do Not Owe a General Duty of Care to Gamblers"
- 20 Motion for Sanctions Filed Against Mike Postle; Latest on Motion to Dismiss
- 21 Plaintiffs Respond to Stones & Justin Kuraitis Motions to Dismiss in Mike Postle Case
- 22 PokerNews-Op Ed: Postle Tightlipped in Oral Arguments, Motion to Dismiss Outcome a Coinflip
- 23 Plaintiffs' Case Against Mike Postle, Stones Dismissed by Judge
- 24 Plaintiff's Lawyer Offers a Reflection on the Stones/Mike Postle Ruling
- 25 Judge Dismisses Marle Cordeiro’s Case Against Mike Postle for Lack of Jurisdiction
- 26 Settlement Finalized for 60 Plaintiffs in Case With Stones, Kuraitis
- 27 Mike Postle, Justin Kuraitis Break Silences in Wake of Settlement
- 28 Leaked Term Sheet Reveals Details Regarding Stones/Kuraitis Settlement; Plaintiffs Paid $40,000
- 29 The Muck: Kuraitis, Stones Lash Out After Twitter Silence
- 30 Plaintiff's Counsel Maurice "Mac" VerStandig Reflects on the Mike Postle Litigation
- 31 Galfond, Berkey Helping Propel Research into Mike Postle's Play
- 32 Top Stories of 2020, #5: Mike Postle Saga Winds Down
- 33 Postle Hit With Two Motions to Strike, Dropped by Lawyers