2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations Open; Rast, Scheinberg, Savage Frontrunners?
You — yes, YOU — can have a say on which individual will become the 2023 Poker Hall of Fame inductee.
The World Series of Poker (WSOP) is now accepting fan nominations through June 18 on the WSOP.com site. Fans can select anyone who meets the strict criteria, which includes first and foremost, being 40 years of age or older. For non-players, the selection must have contributed in a significant way to the growth of the game.
Isai Scheinberg, the founder of PokerStars, and Matt Savage, a long-time Executive Tour Director for the World Poker Tour (WPT), are prime examples of those who are often considered under the "contributor" category.
For players, the prerequisites are to have played consistently well at the high-stakes level and stood the test of time. Winning bracelets, dominating high-stakes cash games, and racking up Hendon Mob stats are among the different factors fans should take into consideration when making their selection.
Bookmark this page! All you need to know about the 2023 WSOP is here.
Many poker fans have debated this ad nauseam, but only one individual — player or contributor — is selected each year as of 2020, and the WSOP has no plans to change that rule. So fans and eventually the final voting panel must compare apples to oranges when choosing if a player or an industry person/non-player is most deserving this year.
Speaking of that final voting panel, once the fan nominations are in, the top 10 selections will be sent to the 32 living members of the PHoF to vote on a 2023 inductee. The late Layne Flack, a six-time WSOP bracelet winner, was chosen by his peers last year.
Who Will Join Layne Flack in the Poker Hall of Fame?
"Back to Back" Flack, who passed away in 2021, beat out the following nine other nominees to become the 61st member of the Poker Hall of Fame.
- Josh Arieh
- Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier
- Kathy Liebert
- Mike Matusow
- Lon McEachern & Norman Chad
- Michael Mizrachi
- Brian Rast
- Matt Savage
- Isai Scheinberg
There are some other names who didn't make the list of fan nominations last year worthy of consideration, including but not limited to Anthony Zinno, Antonio Esfandiari, Ted Forrest, and Jeremy Ausmus. As for those who just became eligible this year, one name that might get some consideration is Steve O'Dwyer, who ranks 12th all-time on the Hendon Mob list with $36.7 million in live tournament cashes.
Who are the Favorites?
It's difficult to determine who the favorites are because the competition is stiff. But there are a few individuals who have been nominated multiple times, including Savage, who has come close seven of the past eight years.
Savage, who has played an instrumental role in creating uniform tournament rules, is open about how much he wants to reach the Poker Hall of Fame. Rast, a five-time bracelet winner, also openly argues that he is the most deserving candidate. In a 2021 interview with PokerNews, the high roller who became eligible last year said, "if people vote fairly next year, I think I’ll make it in,"
Scheinberg is another name who has been strongly considered as he played an integral role in the growth of online poker. Daniel Negreanu has, on multiple occasions, publicly lobbied for Scheinberg's induction.
Matusow also has received some public support. "The Mouth" is a four-time bracelet winner and was one of the top poker players in the world during the 2000s, which is often forgotten among the younger generation of fans.
With only one selection permitted, it won't be easy for fans and the current members of the HOF to make a selection. But there's going to be a huge backlog of deserving superstars soon as legends of the game such as Tom Dwan, Scott Seiver, Justin Bonomo, Jason Mercier, Jason Koon, and many others become eligible over the next few years.
The 61 Current Members of the Poker Hall of Fame
|Tom Abdo||1982||Barry Greenstein||2011||Johnny Moss||1979|
|Crandell Addington||2005||Jennifer Harman||2015||Daniel Negreanu||2014|
|Bobby Baldwin||2003||Dan Harrington||2010||Scotty Nguyen||2013|
|Billy Baxter||2006||Murph Harrold||1984||David Oppenheim||2019|
|Lyle Berman||2002||Phil Hellmuth||2007||Henry Orenstein||2008|
|Joe Bernstein||1983||John Hennigan||2018||Walter "Puggy" Pearson||1987|
|Benny Binion||1990||James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok||1979||Julius Oral Popwell||1996|
|Jack Binion||2005||Red Hodges||1985||Thomas Austin "Amarillo Slim" Preston||1992|
|Bill Boyd||1981||Edmond Hoyle||1979||David "Chip" Reese||1991|
|Doyle Brunson||1988||Phil Ivey||2017||Brian "Sailor" Roberts||2012|
|Todd Brunson||2016||Linda Johnson||2011||Huck Seed||2020|
|Johnny Chan||2002||Berry Johnston||2004||Erik Seidel||2010|
|T.J. Cloutier||2006||John Juanda||2015||Mike Sexton||2009|
|Nick Dandolos||1979||Jack Keller||1993||Jack "Treetop" Straus||1988|
|Eric Drache||2012||Jack McClelland||2014||Dewey Tomko||2008|
|Barbara Enright||2007||Felton McCorquodale||1979||David "Devilfish" Ulliott||2017|
|Mori Eskandani||2018||Tom McEvoy||2013||Stu Ungar||2001|
|Fred "Sarge" Ferris||1989||Chris Moneymaker||2019||Red Winn||1979|
|Henry Green||1986||Roger Moore||1997||Sid Wyman||1979|
|T "Blondie" Forbes||1980||Carlos Mortensen||2016||Eli Elezra||2021|
In this Series
- 1 Here's the Full Schedule for 2023 World Series of Poker (WSOP); Win Main Event for Life!
- 2 Reigning Main Event Champion Espen Jorstad Eyes "Crazy Summer"; Plans to Play Full 2023 WSOP Schedule
- 3 6 Las Vegas Facts That Sound False But Are Actually True!
- 4 How to Decide Which WSOP Tournament(s) to Play
- 5 Registration for 2023 World Series of Poker (WSOP) is Now Open
- 6 How to Stay Healthy in Las Vegas During the WSOP
- 7 WSOP Main Event Champions 2015-17: McKeehen, Nguyen, Blumstein
- 8 PokerGO's 2023 WSOP Live-stream Schedule Covers Biggest Events and More
- 9 2023 Main Event Maynia Could Be Your Best Chance of Playing at the WSOP
- 10 A Look at the 2023 WSOP Online Bracelet Schedule – How to Deposit
- 11 Five Reasons Winning Poker Players Lose Money at the WSOP
- 12 Five Questions to Ask Yourself at Your First WSOP
- 13 Interview: Vice President Jack Effel Looks Ahead to 2023 WSOP
- 14 World Series of Poker Addresses Solver Concerns, Clarifies RTA Policy
- 15 Negreanu, Deeb Again Highest Valued WSOP $25K Fantasy Draft Picks
- 16 PokerNews Staff 2023 WSOP Predictions – Will Ivey Play? Hellmuth vs. Negreanu?
- 17 Let the Games Begin: 2023 World Series of Poker Officially Underway
- 18 WNBA Champion Kelsey Plum Kicks Off WSOP Mystery Millions
- 19 5 Poker Tax Facts to Remember Heading into the 2023 WSOP
- 20 Introducing The Chad & Jesse Poker Show; Two Episodes a Week During 2023 WSOP
- 21 PokerNews Podcast: Catching Up w/ WSOP Executive Director Ty Stewart
- 22 Negreanu or Hellmuth — Who Will Have the Best 2023 WSOP?
- 23 Some of the Best Poker Players Who Haven't Won a WSOP Bracelet
- 24 Quads, Runner-Runner & Other Crazy Hands From the WSOP $25,000 High Roller
- 25 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Maria Konnikova & Kristen Foxen Making Runs
- 26 Phil Ivey, Doug Polk in Action at Epic WSOP $25k Heads-Up Tournament
- 27 Five Tournaments Fans Don't Want to Miss at the 2023 World Series of Poker
- 28 Five Reasons Winning Poker Players Lose Money at the WSOP
- 29 We Asked ChatGPT to Predict the WSOP $25K Heads Up Championship
- 30 Doug Polk Headlines the Final Four in WSOP $25K Heads Up Championship
- 31 Two $1,000,000 Prizes Pulled in WSOP Mystery Millions
- 32 Five Questions to Ask Yourself at Your First WSOP
- 33 Andrews Suffers Brutal Beat on $5K Freezeout Bubble; Hellmuth Deep in $600 Deepstack
- 34 The Two Failed Bluffs in One Week that Cost Doug Polk $700k
- 35 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations Open; Rast, Scheinberg, Savage Frontrunners?
- 36 Badugi Primer - Get Ready for A Brand New WSOP Tournament
- 37 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations Open; Rast, Scheinberg, Savage Frontrunners?
- 38 Estes Nabs Second WSOP MI Online Bracelet; Kershaw Victorious in First PA Event
- 39 Steve "Cuz" Buckner & Lon McEachern Recent Guests on The Chad & Jesse Poker Show
- 40 Is Today the Day Isaac Haxton Finally Wins His First WSOP Bracelet?
- 41 Hitting the Nuts: Man & Woman Discuss Infamous 2023 WSOP Low Blow
- 42 Sarah Herzali Comes Up Shy of Being First Female Bracelet Winner of 2023 WSOP
- 43 A Look Inside Phil Hellmuth's WSOP Break Room: How Does He Fit on that Couch?
- 44 Scotty Nguyen Recovering From Surgery, Will Miss First Half of WSOP
- 45 Man of the People: How Daniel Negreanu Bagged Top 4 Stack on $300 Gladiator Day 1a
- 46 PN Podcast: Poker Hall of Famer Jack McClelland Shares Stories About Doyle Brunson & Stu Ungar
- 47 Poker Player Spikes Quads on River to Escape WSOP $50K Bubble
- 48 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Polk's Miracle Two Outer; Accidental Exposure Saves Tull from Bubble
- 49 Phil Galfond Offers Poker Hall of Fame Pick; Says Two Should Be Inducted Per Year
- 50 Poker Boom 2.0? WSOP Attendance Crushing Last Year's Turnout
- 51 Stanley Cup Champs! Vegas Poker Community Reacts to Golden Knights' Win
- 52 Erik Seidel on Verge of Joining Poker's Most Exclusive Club: 10 WSOP Bracelets
- 53 WSOP Player of the Week: Josh Arieh Makes Poker Hall of Fame Case
- 54 Next Fedor? This German 22-Year-Old is Taking the 2023 WSOP by Sturm
- 55 Daniel Negreanu Quietly Having Success in Large Field Events at 2023 WSOP
- 56 Mike "BrockLesnar" Holtz Running Away with WSOP.com Player of the Year
- 57 Jennifer Harman Remembers Doyle: "He Was Like a Marshmallow Puppy Dog to Me"
- 58 Aces, Kings, Kings, and Queens - You Won't Believe this Epic 2023 WSOP Hand
- 59 Jason Koon's Stack Pulled from WSOP $250K Super High Roller as Wife Enters Labor
- 60 Meet The WSOP App Thrill Team
- 61 TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Things To Do In Las Vegas During The 2023 WSOP
- 62 Phil Ivey Bubbles the 2023 WSOP $250,000 Super High Roller
- 63 Unknown Poker Player in Town for Father's Day Randomly Enters WSOP $250K
- 64 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Negreanu Knows All The Angles, a Quads Counterfeit
- 65 Jungleman Attempts to Terminate PPC Field for 3rd Straight Year; Moneymaker Jumps In
- 66 Ivey Puts Life on Line in Level 5 of $50,000 PPC in Massive PLO Pot – Did He Win?
- 67 "Bucket List Event": Moneymaker Makes WSOP $50k Poker Players Championship Debut
- 68 Kabrhel Denies Cheating Allegations, Threatens to Sue Robl
- 69 King's Resort Has Big WSOP Plans For The Rest Of 2023
- 70 No 11th Bracelet As Johnny Chan Falls in 14th in WSOP $1,500 Big O
- 71 Win Your Way Into 2023 WSOP Main Event with 112 Seat Sprint on WSOP.com
- 72 The Muck: Should Poker Community Ban Martin Kabrhel?
- 73 Phil Ivey Closing in on 11th Bracelet; Rast Playing for the Poker Hall of Fame?
- 74 Horseshoe to Host Doyle Brunson Celebration of Life Memorial July 2
- 75 Familiar Faces Among 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations
- 76 Negreanu Proposes Changes to the Poker Hall of Fame Induction Process
- 77 No-Limit Hold'em Crushers Driving WSOP $25K Fantasy Draft Top Team
- 78 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Women in Full Force in Tag Team Event
- 79 World Series of Poker 2023: Read Phil Ivey's Top WSOP Tips
- 80 Poker Hall of Famer Billy Baxter Eyes Up First Bracelet in 21 Years
- 81 Revealing the Hand: 5 Common Tells You Can Spot at the WSOP
- 82 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Royal Flush Over Quads; KK < KK & 4-of-a-Kind for Seidel
- 83 "Barstool Nate" Shares His Wild Adventure Getting to the 2023 WSOP One Month Late
- 84 Remembering Doyle Brunson's Final WSOP Cash in 2018, a Near Bracelet Win
- 85 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Who Will Win the Largest Ladies Event In Poker History?
- 86 Upcoming WSOP Circuit Schedule is Out; $1 Million Freeroll Returns
- 87 PN Podcast: GGPoker Ambassador Daniel Negreanu Talks 2023 WSOP & Poker Hall of Fame
- 88 The Smoking Petition: How Tom McEvoy Helped the WSOP Become Smoke Free
- 89 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Poker Player Learns Lesson for Premature Celebration
- 90 Hellmuth, Negreanu Pay Tribute to Doyle Brunson at 2023 WSOP
- 91 Silicon Valley's Chamath Palihapitiya Returns to the WSOP After a Decade
- 92 Admitted Poker Cheater Ali Imsirovic Enters WSOP $1,500 Shootout Event
- 93 Six-Time Bracelet Winner Brian Rast Voted Into Poker Hall of Fame
- 94 Lexy Gavin-Mather Is One of the 2023 WSOP's Most Prolific Vloggers
- 95 PN Podcast: Final Show from the 2023 WSOP w/ Guests Brian Rast & Phil Hellmuth
- 96 How Much Money Players at 2023 WSOP Main Event Final Table Really Made
- 97 Mike Holtz Nabs WSOP Cashes Record While Ian Matakis is POY
- 98 The Complete Overview of the 2023 NV/NJ WSOP Online Bracelet Events
- 99 Daniel Weinman Wins Record-Breaking 2023 WSOP Main Event for $12,100,000
- 100 Nicolai Morris & Elias Garney Win Final WSOP Online Bracelets in Michigan & Pennsylvania