Quads, Runner-Runner & Other Crazy Hands From the WSOP $25,000 High Roller
Table Of Contents
The final table of Event #2: $25,000 High Roller 6-Handed No-Limit Hold'em at the 2023 World Series of Poker (WSOP) featured big bluffs, huge suck-outs and improbable runouts that made it the perfect way to kick off the summer.
The High Roller had $1,215,864 up top and featured a stacked final table that included Chance Kornuth, Sean Winter, Joey Weissman, Axel Hallay and Ren Lin.
But it was Switzerland's Alexandre Vuilleumier who walked away with a maiden bracelet and seven-figure top prize after defeating Kornuth heads-up to deny the Chip Leader Coaching founder a fourth bracelet.
Here's a look at the biggest hands from what will likely prove to be one of the most entertaining final tables of the series, as documented by the PokerNews live reporting team.
Bookmark this page! All you need to know about the 2023 WSOP is here.
Kornuth Knocks Out Lin With Quad Kings
With five players left, Chance Kornuth opened to 400,000 from the cutoff and called when Ren Lin jammed for 1,910,000 from the button.
Ren Lin: A♥10♥
Chance Kornuth: K♠K♣
Kornuth, who failed to eliminate Lin several times late last night, had the best of it. And he managed to finally down his opponent after making quads on the K♦7♦6♠K♥8♦ runout to send Lin out in fifth place for $259,220.
Vuilleumier Picks Off Bluff to Leave Winter with 1.5 Big Blinds
Sean Winter raised to 435,000 from the button with Q♥9♣, and Alexandre Vuilleumier defended his big blind with K♣Q♦.
Vuilleumier made top pair on the K♦8♠6♣ flop and check-called for 725,000.
On the 5♦ turn, the action checked through to the Q♣ river. Vuilleumier improved to top two pair while Winter rivered a pair of queens.
Vuilleumier led for 1,790,000, swelling the pot to 4,410,000. Winter thought over his options, and then fireworks began to ignite as he jammed as the bigger stack.
Vuilleumier, with 5,350,000 behind, called for his tournament life after some thinking time and scooped in the biggest pot of the tournament so far.
Winter Goes Runner-Runner for a Double, Then Doubles Again
After losing most of his stack, Sean Winter limped in to leave himself just 100,000 behind, then called all in when Axel Hallay on the button raised to 300,000.
Sean Winter: K♥Q♦
Axel Hallay: A♥10♣
The A♣7♠4♠ flop was a disaster for Winter as Hallay made top pair. Winter was already tapping the felt and getting up from his seat as the 10♦ on the turn gave him a small glimmer of hope to avoid going out in fifth place.
The J♦ fell on the river and Winter made his miracle runner-runner straight to stay alive.
The next hand, Winter raised to 700,000 from under the gun, then called off his last 400,000 when Chance Kornuth reraised.
Sean Winter: J♠J♣
Chance Kornuth: A♣3♣
Winter was ahead this time and took an almost insurmountable lead in the hand as the 8♥J♥10♥ flop gave him top set. The K♣ fell on the turn and Kornuth now picked up a straight draw.
"It was nice playing with you. Lady Gaga," Kornuth said as Winter walked over to shake his hand.
"I forgot you could win," Winter said in disbelief.
The river, though, came the 6♥ and Winter doubled up yet again.
Lin Doubles With Set Over Set
On the second hand of the final table, Joey Weissman raised to 260,000 from under the gun as action folded to Ren Lin on the button. "All in. Let's go," he said as he moved all in for 1,420,000. Weissman called when action got back around to him.
Ren Lin: J♥J♦
Joey Weissman: 10♠10♣
"I think he has a bad feeling because he's not talking," a player at the table said as Lin uncharacteristically fell silent heading to the flop.
"Because he's my good friend," Lin replied.
The 2♣J♠5♦ flop was a disaster for Weissman as Lin made top set. The 10♦ on the turn gave Weissman a set and left him drawing to a miracle one-outer on the river, but he missed the 6♣ as he handed over most of his stack.
Vuilleumier Cracks Weissman's Cowboys
After the disastrous set-over-set, Joey Weissman moved all in for 460,000 from the small blind and was called by Alexandre Vuilleumier from the big blind.
Joey Weissman: K♠K♦
Alexandre Vuilleumier: J♣3♥
Weissman was the huge favorite but immediately became the underdog after Vuilleumier made trips on the 7♥3♣3♠ flop. The 8♠ turn and 8♦ river confirmed the bad beat and gave Vuilleumier a full house to secure Weissman's exit in sixth place for $188,219.
Check out our guide to the Best Online Casinos around the world. For US players, online real money casino is available in Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Jersey and West Virginia. If you're looking to start playing Online Casino right now, then we recommend FanDuel Casino. If you’re in a State where real money online casino isn’t an option, then you still have the chance to play via Social Casino sites such as Chumba Casino and LuckyLand Slots.
In this Series
- 1 Here's the Full Schedule for 2023 World Series of Poker (WSOP); Win Main Event for Life!
- 2 Reigning Main Event Champion Espen Jorstad Eyes "Crazy Summer"; Plans to Play Full 2023 WSOP Schedule
- 3 6 Las Vegas Facts That Sound False But Are Actually True!
- 4 How to Decide Which WSOP Tournament(s) to Play
- 5 Registration for 2023 World Series of Poker (WSOP) is Now Open
- 6 How to Stay Healthy in Las Vegas During the WSOP
- 7 WSOP Main Event Champions 2015-17: McKeehen, Nguyen, Blumstein
- 8 PokerGO's 2023 WSOP Live-stream Schedule Covers Biggest Events and More
- 9 2023 Main Event Maynia Could Be Your Best Chance of Playing at the WSOP
- 10 A Look at the 2023 WSOP Online Bracelet Schedule – How to Deposit
- 11 Five Reasons Winning Poker Players Lose Money at the WSOP
- 12 Five Questions to Ask Yourself at Your First WSOP
- 13 Interview: Vice President Jack Effel Looks Ahead to 2023 WSOP
- 14 World Series of Poker Addresses Solver Concerns, Clarifies RTA Policy
- 15 Negreanu, Deeb Again Highest Valued WSOP $25K Fantasy Draft Picks
- 16 PokerNews Staff 2023 WSOP Predictions – Will Ivey Play? Hellmuth vs. Negreanu?
- 17 Let the Games Begin: 2023 World Series of Poker Officially Underway
- 18 WNBA Champion Kelsey Plum Kicks Off WSOP Mystery Millions
- 19 5 Poker Tax Facts to Remember Heading into the 2023 WSOP
- 20 Introducing The Chad & Jesse Poker Show; Two Episodes a Week During 2023 WSOP
- 21 PokerNews Podcast: Catching Up w/ WSOP Executive Director Ty Stewart
- 22 Negreanu or Hellmuth — Who Will Have the Best 2023 WSOP?
- 23 Some of the Best Poker Players Who Haven't Won a WSOP Bracelet
- 24 Quads, Runner-Runner & Other Crazy Hands From the WSOP $25,000 High Roller
- 25 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Maria Konnikova & Kristen Foxen Making Runs
- 26 Phil Ivey, Doug Polk in Action at Epic WSOP $25k Heads-Up Tournament
- 27 Five Tournaments Fans Don't Want to Miss at the 2023 World Series of Poker
- 28 Five Reasons Winning Poker Players Lose Money at the WSOP
- 29 We Asked ChatGPT to Predict the WSOP $25K Heads Up Championship
- 30 Doug Polk Headlines the Final Four in WSOP $25K Heads Up Championship
- 31 Two $1,000,000 Prizes Pulled in WSOP Mystery Millions
- 32 Five Questions to Ask Yourself at Your First WSOP
- 33 Andrews Suffers Brutal Beat on $5K Freezeout Bubble; Hellmuth Deep in $600 Deepstack
- 34 The Two Failed Bluffs in One Week that Cost Doug Polk $700k
- 35 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations Open; Rast, Scheinberg, Savage Frontrunners?
- 36 Badugi Primer - Get Ready for A Brand New WSOP Tournament
- 37 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations Open; Rast, Scheinberg, Savage Frontrunners?
- 38 Estes Nabs Second WSOP MI Online Bracelet; Kershaw Victorious in First PA Event
- 39 Steve "Cuz" Buckner & Lon McEachern Recent Guests on The Chad & Jesse Poker Show
- 40 Is Today the Day Isaac Haxton Finally Wins His First WSOP Bracelet?
- 41 Hitting the Nuts: Man & Woman Discuss Infamous 2023 WSOP Low Blow
- 42 Sarah Herzali Comes Up Shy of Being First Female Bracelet Winner of 2023 WSOP
- 43 A Look Inside Phil Hellmuth's WSOP Break Room: How Does He Fit on that Couch?
- 44 Scotty Nguyen Recovering From Surgery, Will Miss First Half of WSOP
- 45 Man of the People: How Daniel Negreanu Bagged Top 4 Stack on $300 Gladiator Day 1a
- 46 PN Podcast: Poker Hall of Famer Jack McClelland Shares Stories About Doyle Brunson & Stu Ungar
- 47 Poker Player Spikes Quads on River to Escape WSOP $50K Bubble
- 48 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Polk's Miracle Two Outer; Accidental Exposure Saves Tull from Bubble
- 49 Phil Galfond Offers Poker Hall of Fame Pick; Says Two Should Be Inducted Per Year
- 50 Poker Boom 2.0? WSOP Attendance Crushing Last Year's Turnout
- 51 Stanley Cup Champs! Vegas Poker Community Reacts to Golden Knights' Win
- 52 Erik Seidel on Verge of Joining Poker's Most Exclusive Club: 10 WSOP Bracelets
- 53 WSOP Player of the Week: Josh Arieh Makes Poker Hall of Fame Case
- 54 Next Fedor? This German 22-Year-Old is Taking the 2023 WSOP by Sturm
- 55 Daniel Negreanu Quietly Having Success in Large Field Events at 2023 WSOP
- 56 Mike "BrockLesnar" Holtz Running Away with WSOP.com Player of the Year
- 57 Jennifer Harman Remembers Doyle: "He Was Like a Marshmallow Puppy Dog to Me"
- 58 Aces, Kings, Kings, and Queens - You Won't Believe this Epic 2023 WSOP Hand
- 59 Jason Koon's Stack Pulled from WSOP $250K Super High Roller as Wife Enters Labor
- 60 Meet The WSOP App Thrill Team
- 61 TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Things To Do In Las Vegas During The 2023 WSOP
- 62 Phil Ivey Bubbles the 2023 WSOP $250,000 Super High Roller
- 63 Unknown Poker Player in Town for Father's Day Randomly Enters WSOP $250K
- 64 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Negreanu Knows All The Angles, a Quads Counterfeit
- 65 Jungleman Attempts to Terminate PPC Field for 3rd Straight Year; Moneymaker Jumps In
- 66 Ivey Puts Life on Line in Level 5 of $50,000 PPC in Massive PLO Pot – Did He Win?
- 67 "Bucket List Event": Moneymaker Makes WSOP $50k Poker Players Championship Debut
- 68 Kabrhel Denies Cheating Allegations, Threatens to Sue Robl
- 69 King's Resort Has Big WSOP Plans For The Rest Of 2023
- 70 No 11th Bracelet As Johnny Chan Falls in 14th in WSOP $1,500 Big O
- 71 Win Your Way Into 2023 WSOP Main Event with 112 Seat Sprint on WSOP.com
- 72 The Muck: Should Poker Community Ban Martin Kabrhel?
- 73 Phil Ivey Closing in on 11th Bracelet; Rast Playing for the Poker Hall of Fame?
- 74 Horseshoe to Host Doyle Brunson Celebration of Life Memorial July 2
- 75 Familiar Faces Among 2023 Poker Hall of Fame Nominations
- 76 Negreanu Proposes Changes to the Poker Hall of Fame Induction Process
- 77 No-Limit Hold'em Crushers Driving WSOP $25K Fantasy Draft Top Team
- 78 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Women in Full Force in Tag Team Event
- 79 World Series of Poker 2023: Read Phil Ivey's Top WSOP Tips
- 80 Poker Hall of Famer Billy Baxter Eyes Up First Bracelet in 21 Years
- 81 Revealing the Hand: 5 Common Tells You Can Spot at the WSOP
- 82 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Royal Flush Over Quads; KK < KK & 4-of-a-Kind for Seidel
- 83 "Barstool Nate" Shares His Wild Adventure Getting to the 2023 WSOP One Month Late
- 84 Remembering Doyle Brunson's Final WSOP Cash in 2018, a Near Bracelet Win
- 85 2023 WSOP Featured Females: Who Will Win the Largest Ladies Event In Poker History?
- 86 Upcoming WSOP Circuit Schedule is Out; $1 Million Freeroll Returns
- 87 PN Podcast: GGPoker Ambassador Daniel Negreanu Talks 2023 WSOP & Poker Hall of Fame
- 88 The Smoking Petition: How Tom McEvoy Helped the WSOP Become Smoke Free
- 89 2023 WSOP Hands of the Week: Poker Player Learns Lesson for Premature Celebration
- 90 Hellmuth, Negreanu Pay Tribute to Doyle Brunson at 2023 WSOP
- 91 Silicon Valley's Chamath Palihapitiya Returns to the WSOP After a Decade
- 92 Admitted Poker Cheater Ali Imsirovic Enters WSOP $1,500 Shootout Event
- 93 Six-Time Bracelet Winner Brian Rast Voted Into Poker Hall of Fame
- 94 Lexy Gavin-Mather Is One of the 2023 WSOP's Most Prolific Vloggers
- 95 PN Podcast: Final Show from the 2023 WSOP w/ Guests Brian Rast & Phil Hellmuth
- 96 How Much Money Players at 2023 WSOP Main Event Final Table Really Made
- 97 Mike Holtz Nabs WSOP Cashes Record While Ian Matakis is POY
- 98 The Complete Overview of the 2023 NV/NJ WSOP Online Bracelet Events
- 99 Daniel Weinman Wins Record-Breaking 2023 WSOP Main Event for $12,100,000
- 100 Nicolai Morris & Elias Garney Win Final WSOP Online Bracelets in Michigan & Pennsylvania